Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
appmy

Bissell Rental Carpet Cleaner

appmy
13 years ago

Has anyone tried the Bissell Rental Carpet Cleaner from Lowes? It replaced the Rug Doctor there. It must be new...I could only find one online review (linked below).

I would be curious to hear some feedback. I was going to purchase a Rug Doctor. I am SO fed up with the household machines that don't hold up and cost a lot. You can purchase a Bissell Big Green Deep Cleaning Machine Rental Grade for $600. Any thoughts on this unit?

Here is a link that might be useful: Bissell Rental Carpet Cleaner Review

Comments (5)

• lostinit
    13 years ago

Never heard of it. The problem with the rug doctor is that it doesn't use steam but it does have good agitation and suction. I have looked long and far for a solution that delivers boiling/steam water to a carpet and vaccuum at the same time for the consumer. Needless to say I've come up empty. Stanley Steemer, Service Magic, etc either use proprietary solutions that do the above or simply steam/hot water the carpet and then suck it up with a shop vac.

Let me know how the deep clean from bissell works out. I have a Bissell quick steamer, does an ok job but can't get the tough stains even with near boiling water and several passes.

• appmy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I rented one yesterday from Lowes. They said they were only at Lowes now, but would be available in other stores this winter.

I rented the machine (its names The Big Green Deep Cleaning Machine), the Oxy Cleaner and the accessory tool.

It did a better job than the Rug Doctor ever did...and it was easier (far less water fills). I will rent again and may even buy it. $600 bucks but it does have a 5 year warranty.

It is as close as I have come to professional carpet cleaner. Impressed.

• lucky51
    13 years ago

As per previous posters: Boiling hot water will have the reverse effect you seek. It will in fact set stains. You want tap hot, water.

The Simplicity/Riccar rentals we have recently gotten in the store are fantastic as are the chemical systems they have put together. Might be worth a try before you buy. Previous "for home use" Bissells have been notorious for repairs.

• jannie
    13 years ago

I paid $800 for a Bissell Carpet Cleaner about 20 years ago. So long ago I don't remember the name or model or number. It worked okay at cleaning my rugs but was difficult to set up, very heavy to drag around and disassembling it was even harder, every piece had to be rinsed and dried for the next use. I stored it in my garage in pieces and managed to lose one part, which I could not replace. So that was a waste of $800. I threw it out. Even my handman neighbor next door didn't want it. So it's somewhere in a landfill.

• byhsg_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

Rug Doctor machines have been around for 30 years because they work. They are serviced weekly, cleaned and disinfected. I have always had wonderful results using rug doctor machines, and products. Rug doctor can be found almost everywhere, not just at a Lowes store like the bissell machine. My advice: stick with a tried and true company who leads the industry for a reason.