Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Homemade bleach gel cleaner

Posted by ljbrandt (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 23, 11 at 19:20

I just spent nearly the entire day cleaning my bathroom. I started off using some REALLY old cleaning products I found, including soft scrub w/ bleach, comet powder w/ bleach and Tilex mildew root penetrator. None of these products worked really well, not because they're bad products, but because I think they were over two years old. Most likely the chlorine bleach had dissipated from the product and they weren't as effective. I made a trip to the store and bought the soft scrub gel spray cleaner with bleach and it worked really well clinging and killing the mildew in the shower. I also used in the the toilet bowl to clean up on the sides and under the rim. It was nice because it stayed put instead of running down.

My question: is it possible to make a homemade version of a bleach gel cleaner? I thought about mixing bleach with dish soap, but a I read that most (if not all) dish soaps have ammonia now. Any ideas? What does soft scrub use in the bleach gel product that's safe to combine with Clorox bleach?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Homemade bleach gel cleaner

I've pretty much went back to just bleach water. When I use the gels and powders I spend time cleaning off the powder/gel residue. Just go through and wipe it down (very wet) and let it set for fifteen minutes. If you wanted you could put it in a spray bottle. Just be careful. Bleach mist will take the color out of anything you get it on. Come back and wipe down dry. However this is just for porcelain tile, I wouldn't put bleach on granite. As far as the toilet bowl I've been buying the four pack of toilet bleach cleaner sold at the big box store. Less than $10 for 4 bottles. Really don't know how much you would save by the time you bought some kind of thickener and then mixed in the bleach.

I guess I'm saying is that if you are going to use bleach, I really don't think you need an abrasive to help it clean. Just get it wet and let it set for 15 minutes. If needed use an old toothbrush to scrub. After using all the special advertised cleaners, I've went back to just plain ol' bleach. Of course, I make sure and wear an apron over my clothes.

o
RE: Homemade bleach gel cleaner

thank you. It looks like bleach only has a shelf life of 3-5 months before it begins to degrade. I'll have to stick with the smallest generic containers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here