Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fschwarb

Cleaning Stainless Steel Appliances

fschwarb
9 years ago

Love the look, but my Bosch dishwasher and LG refrigerator doors are driving me crazy. Water drips and smudges won't come off with any commercial suggested cleaners. I've tried WD40, vinegar and water, and stainless steel cleaners. Anyone have any tips?

Comments (33)

• emma
    9 years ago

I would try soap and water using a very soft brush. You might let it stay wet for a bit then use the brush or let it set after brushing and brush again.

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    9 years ago

I really like the mitt from The Container Store. Works like a charm. See the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mitt to Clean Stainless Steel

• lam702
    9 years ago

I don't have SS appliances, but as my old ones go, I will probably get them. Not by choice, but because they are neutral and will go with my kitchen. Not that I don't like the look, but I don't want the cleaning hassles. My SS sink is a big enough PITA to clean. This might sound like a dumb question, but I was wondering though - could you use a product like Armor All, or Rainex on them? These products make water bead up and wipe off easily, could they work on SS?

• moviegeek
    9 years ago

I use rubbing alcohol* for grease and fingerprints, Dawn dish washing soap and water in a spray bottle also works for large surfaces.

* DO NOT USE ON GAS STOVES BECAUSE IT'S FLAMMABLE!

This post was edited by moviegeek on Tue, Oct 14, 14 at 11:48

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    9 years ago

Moviegeek, do you mean the alcohol is flammable or the Dawn and water?

• emma
    9 years ago

She used an asterisk after alcohol so it's safe to say that is what she meant.

• moviegeek
    9 years ago

Yes I meant the rubbing alcohol, the reason is gas stoves have a pilot light.

I also use the Dawn mixture for cleaning the bathroom, it works great on tile and chrome.

• sushipup1
    9 years ago

Modern gas stoves do NOT have a pilot light.

• jean_ar
    9 years ago

I don't have stainless steel appliances, but, I use a magic eraser on my stainless steel sink and it makes it look like brand new,puts a nice shine, too.

jean

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    9 years ago

Oops, I did not see the asterisks.

• mainecoonkitty
    9 years ago

I have LG SS appliances and the best thing I've found to clean them is Glass Plus glass cleaner. It takes off water drips, fingerprints, and everything else. Leaves a nice clean shine with no residue. Spray on, wipe dry in the direction of the SS grain with a microfiber cloth or old towel, and poof - clean and shiny. And it's CHEAP! I've tried all the ss cleaners and nothing works as well as Glass Plus.

• funkycamper
    9 years ago

LG SS stove here. I just use a damp washcloth. No fingerprints or smudges. If I really want it to look super-duper, I sometimes follow the damp washcloth with a dry microfiber cloth. That's it.

• lam702
    9 years ago

Rubbing alcohol works great at cutting grease, I do use it on my stove, its electric so no worries about pilot lights. I think vinegar would work just as well, but its acid, so might be too corrosive on the SS finish. I wish appliances came in more colors than SS, black and white. I do like the GE slate color a lot, but you are limited to GE products if you choose that color. I can't remember the name of the company that offers appliances in a large selection of colors, but unfortunately, they are out of my price range anyway.

• vendee
    9 years ago

"Baby Oil"

First, clean your stainless steel appliances with a damp cloth. Perhaps add a little bit of vinegar if they are very dirty.

Finally, squirt/spray some baby oil on a microfiber cloth (I actually use paper towels) and wipe and buff the appliances.
    Now stand back and admire your shiny and clean appliances.

• vendee
    9 years ago

Double post, not sure why this is happening in GW

This post was edited by vendee on Wed, Oct 22, 14 at 18:07

• bbstx
    9 years ago

At my former home, a workman leaned against my Viking SS fridge while he was working on the cabinets. I don't know why, but it left a marks where his arm and hand had been that would not come off with anything. I tried most of the tips listed above. Finally, in desperation, I used Bar Keeper's Friend. Just a dab of BKF on a microfiber cloth rubbing lightly with the grain of the SS. I then wiped the front of the fridge down with a damp clean microfiber cloth again with the grain. Did the trick! Probably not something you would want to do all the time, but for stubborn marks, it is great!

• Andrea Hadley Richardson
    9 years ago

For folks @moviegeek using mixture of Dawn and water, what is the ratio of Dawn to water and do you put that in a spray bottle?

• neil.corrigan12
    9 years ago

I have a few stainless steel appliances at home and there are times that simply wiping the surface with a piece of cloth with soap and water isn't enough. I might try a few of the suggestions here. Using baby oil seems like a good idea.

• GregNow
    9 years ago

I use vinegar and it works all the time. I just let it sit for a minute or two depending on the amount of grease built up in an area before wiping it off. I also rinse it with rubbing alcohol to make it smell clean.

• PADon
    9 years ago

I have had success with club soda. Wipe it with a damp cloth and a gentle splash of club soda and then buff it with a dry cloth. Give it a try and let me know what you think, please.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

i use the stuff at the link ..

with often changed paper towel ...

let stand an bad goo ... until it softens ...

it is carried at my local ACE hardware ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• azmom
    9 years ago

409 and water. All the special cleaning products for stainless steel appliances we purchased are waste of money.

• dakota01
    9 years ago

I had some water marks and just a dull smeared look to mine. I always use a ss cleaner/polish. I think it built up on my appliances and that's why putting more of the. Leaner on did nothing.

I tried the liquid type bar keepers cleaner, went with the grain, wiped with a wet rag, then dried with a microfiber cloth. OMG the rags had a brown residue on them. I think it was all the old cleaner/polish coming off.

The water spots and dullness is gone.

• ked1985
    9 years ago

Second BABY OIL. I got a stainless steel/stone cleaner that cleaned but didn't get rid of smudges. So I just put a little baby oil on a towel and buffed the areas with fingerprints then wiped the whole thing down. Worked like a charm.

• Linda Giorgi
    9 years ago

I tried all the above at one time or another. I remembered I used a product called Cabinet Magic. It was great. While in home depot I saw ss magic. I put it in my cart .... I tried it as soon as I get home. It was fantastic. So residue left and a shine I have not seen since I got my new appliances.

• gigim
    9 years ago

I used baby oil on my LG fridge but then noticed there was a cloudy buildup that I could not remove with vinegar, 409, alcohol, Dawn and water. Last night I tried Cerama Bryte cooktop cleaner, wiped on with a clean dry cloth, gave the cloudy areas a bit more elbow grease, used a wet cloth to wipe off, a new dry cloth to dry then sprayed Weimans SS cleaner/polish on, wiped off with clean soft cloth and wa-la doors look better than new and no cloudy residue, fingerprints or water marks! Both cleaners were found at Walmart!

• moviegeek
    9 years ago

"For folks @moviegeek using mixture of Dawn and water, what is the ratio of Dawn to water and do you put that in a spray bottle?"

Sorry I was late responding to your post, I put .5oz(two squirts) in a spray bottle. I've seen videos on the internet that say 1/3 cup but that's overkill IMHO, I've also seen recipes that call for vinegar but it stinks and disables the soap. Vinegar is useful by itself...if you can stand the smell.

I only have two non-toxic cleaners in my house:

I have a spray bottle with a 60/40 mix of rubbing alcohol and distilled water. I use it for windows and SS, it also disinfects and deodorizes the bathroom.

In another spray bottle I have Dawn and water, I use it for general cleaning.

I use Dawn and a green scouring sponge to clean up the baked on stuff then finish off with the alcohol spray for a streak-free finish.

• fifi96
    9 years ago

After reading through all the recommendations I finally called Bosch to get a recommendation as I was loathe to try some of these suggestions on a brand new applicance. They sent me a sample of Steel Kleen Ezi-Wipes which worked perfectly and was really easy to use. The link is included. I used it on the dishwasher, LG fridge and Smeg oven with no issues. I can recommend it. http://www.hillmark.com.au/Products/SteelKleen_Stainless_Steel_Wipes.aspx

• 902 Juanita
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Put me in the Pledge "corner". Amazing tip I got on Houzz and finally tried it on my Samsung bottom freezer french door fridge, Bosch dishwasher, KA stove and microwave. I'm into it over a week now and fingerprints are truly under control. Any smudge can be swiftly swiped away with a microfiber cloth.

I spray the Pledge on a microfiber cloth, apply to the appliance, and then buff it shiny and clear with an additional microfiber cloth. So easy. I especially like this, in comparison to stainless steel cleaners. They work, but do nothing to "knock back" fingerprints. BTW: I have chrome pulls, door handles etc. Pledge works on them, as well, without leaving any greasy feel.

BONUS: My appliances have custom cabinetry (stained) surrounds. If a bit of Pledge "bleeds over" onto the wood, no big deal, no worry about damage to the finish.

NOTE: I used Lemon Pledge. Worked great, smells even better.

• Suzanne Central Pa 6a
    7 years ago

I use Steel Meister that I found at Home Depot.

• mandyb1323
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I use detergent & water with a microfibre cloth to clean my stainless steel appliances. About once a month I apply a light spray of olive oil & rub it in well with a paper towel, then with a clean paper towel I wipe in the direction of the grain to remove the excess. In between I wipe off any light marks with a microfibre cloth.

I was given the olive oil tip by the plumber who installed my Bosch dishwasher almost 3 years ago & I've never looked back :-)

• HU-815502798
    4 years ago

I tried the pledge and 409. The cooktop cleaner said specifically not to use on stainless steel appliances. So, I tried the Olive Oil. Worked like a charm! I actually used Pam Olive Oil Spray.