Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Duct cleaning...new home...geothermal?

Posted by ajc9 (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 14, 12 at 18:30

Hello!
We have lived in our home for one year.

My 2 yr old's allergies flare when the furnace is on...not so much with air conditioning but heating.

When I vacuum by air vents, it's often dirtier compared to other areas...

My builder said it wasn't necessary as they keep covers on the registers during the building process...but I have to wonder!

Any thoughts? Our home is quite large and I don't want to waste the money if it isn't necessary...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Duct cleaning...new home...geothermal?

It would be a good idea to take off the grates and check inside the air return vents and see how much trash the builder left in there. I was amazed at how much builders trash was left in our return vents.

Check under the air return area under the a/c-heat where the filter is placed. Again, ours was full of dirt/trash.

Cleaning ducts would have no effect on our air quality with that much trash/dirt in the return vents.

o

First, I don't think it has anything to do with the fact it's geothermal. I've lived in a home with geothermal for 11 years and homes with natural gas and electric previously. It is not any dirtier or cleaner.

Do you have an air cleaner on your unit? That can make a big difference. Do you change the filters regularly? It's important.

Do you have a whole house humidifier on the unit to use during cold months. The humidity levels could make a difference with the allergies.

o

rrah,

Agree with what you said
"First, I don't think it has anything to do with the fact it's geothermal. I've lived in a home with geothermal for 11 years and homes with natural gas and electric previously. It is not any dirtier or cleaner.
Do you have an air cleaner on your unit? That can make a big difference. Do you change the filters regularly? It's important.

Do you have a whole house humidifier on the unit to use during cold months. The humidity levels could make a difference with the allergies."

~ Air filters collects dust making it easier for us to clean and have a cleaner air to breath, for allergies and dry months it should be humidifier to keep the air moist and the other way around for cold season have a dehumidifier to help dry out your place

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here