Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! Black dust coming from door hinges

Posted by mapletex (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 23, 07 at 18:16

Does anyone else have this problem? All of my interior door hinges have fine black dust coming out of them. It stains the woodwork and doors.

Last year I removed all the doors, cleaned the pins and hinges, and everything was ok for a few months, but it started again.

I asked at Lowes and was told it was due to graphite and cheap hinges, but changing every hinge in the house is NOT a possibility. ( there are 26 doors).

I will try to clean the hinges again, and will coat the pins with a thin layer of vaseline to lubricate them.

Any other hints would be greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! Black dust coming from door hinges

I have never heard of that.

o

I believe locksmiths use graphite when they install locks,it acts as a sort of lubricant on metal. Anybody?

o

I believe this is a combination of hinge pin finish, and pin metal that is being worn off by the slight misalignment of hinges to the pin each time the door is opened or closed. Most door installers don't bother to lubricate hinge pins. I've cured the dust problem by driving out pin and putting a drop of oil at the top of the hinge pin and rubbing it all around and down the pin and replacing it. DO NOT over-oil or you will have an oil drip on you floor or carpet. No further problem for at least a year.

o

My sister has this problem with all of her hinges, and it's so bad that the black dust has stained her light- colored carpets. I have this problem with only one of my doors so thanks for the info.

btw, I don't think these are cheap hinges.

o

Mapletex, I have the same exact problem and I never knew the cause!!! I mean I assumed it was caused by the hinges but didn't know why. I'll have to try to clean & lubricate them and see if that helps. Ugh, I dread more housework! LOL

o

It is from the graphite lubricant. A locksmikth once told me he uses a drop of liquid dishwashing soap as a lubricant.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here