Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

Ballpoint pen on white vinyl wallet

I accidentally got blue ballpoint pen on my daughterÂs white quilted vinyl wallet. ItÂs "my bad" so I need to get it out. So far I have tried rubbing alcohol, hairspray, WD-40, Goo Gone, Method cleaner, Bon-ami and Mr. Clean Magic eraser.

This is a soft kind of vinyl so IÂm afraid to try something too industrial on it. Any other ideas?

Comments (22)

• arizonarose
    15 years ago

I've always used rubbing alcohol to remove ink but you said that didn't work for you. Maybe you could test a small spot with some nail polish remover?

Good luck!

• centralcacyclist
    15 years ago

The only other think I can think of to remove ink is a "Kiss-Off" stick. You can find them at art/craft stores.

• alyson_2008
    15 years ago

For what it's worth in terms of a future reference ball point pen or felt tip pen (ink) will come out of textiles if you immediately soak some milk into it and gently lift the stain with a cloth or sponge. But you've got to get to it right away. Sounds crazy but it really works! It also works on leather and suede (I've done it to skirts). If I were you I'd stop putting extra stuff on that vinyl. Vinyl does not react well to just about anything. Call it a day.

• dilly_dally
    15 years ago

"IÂm afraid to try something too industrial on it."

Too late now............. WD-40, Magic Erasere, Goo Gone all hefty stuff.

At this point, spend your money on a new wallet.

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It's the only thing my daughter chose to buy for herself on a class trip to New York, so it's sentimental value to her outweighs it's wallet value. I said I'd try a little longer. I'm surprised but the vinyl looks totally untouched, unless the chemicals show their damage later.

• PRO
    modern life interiors
    15 years ago

Keep your paws of your daughters stuff next time.

Original Author
    15 years ago

I put a pen away in the glove compartment, which is how it happened. I did not see the wallet in there. I would never borrow her stuff, I don't think she would let me! LOL.

• myclementine
    15 years ago

I hate it when things like that happen. My dad got ink pen on my sons special outfit when he was 2. I was shopping a super high end store and found cute pants, shirt and fancy suspenders. Lucky for me it was on sale and the only thing I could afford there. $20.00! He wore it 2 times and then I had it layed out on the dryer, dad came home and set all of his stuff up there and the pen fell off his perm. marker. The outfit was toast.
    Things like that happen. It wasn't intentional. It shouldn't have happened. So do you best but it may be a gonner at this point. Try a few more things because at least that way it may get cleaned. then check online and see if you can find another and order it for her. It won't be the same but at least it will be another one. Just my 2 cents.

• wiredgirl
    15 years ago

Give hand sanitizer a whirl. It took crayon and pen off my couch. And gel shaving cream removes nail polish, so might try that. Can you tell I have a two year old? :)

• centralcacyclist
    15 years ago

I still recommend the Kiss-Off stick. It works really well on pen and marker. Make a paste with the stick and a bit of water. Let it dry. Wipe it off. Might take a couple of applications.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kiss-Off

• charleney
    15 years ago

Milk on a cloth and wipe

• DLM2000-GW
    15 years ago

When I have tried everything under the sun to 'remove' a stain and nothing works, then I resort to 'covering' the stain. I'd use white fabric paint, work in thin layers and do my best to cover it up. Good luck!

• dianamo_1
    15 years ago

Pimple cream will work. (Like Clearasil..or even the cheaper brands)

I work on vinyl dolls and it's a well known fact, that pimple cream will take ink out of vinyl. I've had to use it myself a few times. And one of my good friends got ink on her white vinyl purse. When I told her about the pimple cream, she didn't believe me, but tried it and was so surprised that it worked! lol

Cover the area thickly with the pimple cream and let it sit over night. In the morning wipe off and if there are still signs of the ink..cover it and let it sit again. It may take a few days..but I promise it will work. It pulls the ink stain right out of the vinyl.

Good luck!

• gerrilu
    15 years ago

I recently read in the book "Who Knew" that peanut butter will remove ink pen from a vinyl doll. It's worth a try. Just put it on and let it sit for a few hours or over night, then wipe off.

Original Author
    15 years ago

This is a follow up. I wanted to share this in case someone with the same problem goes searching in the future. The acne cream worked! It was generic acne cream with 10% benzoyl peroxide. It took multiple applications. I put a ribbon directly on the marks using a toothpick. After the fourth application I could see it was definitely lighter. After that I applied it once a day and then just wet it twice a day afterward to reactivate the cream. I kept the wallet and the bottle in the kitchen so I would see it and remember to do it. It sounds like a lot of trouble to keep applying it, but it really wasnÂt. There is no trace left of the ink at all.

Thanks to all who helped!

• tcdarling_mac_com
    15 years ago

My son just colored with ball-point pen on an original vinyl art deco couch. I used hand sanitizer which lifted the marks right up! Thanks for the tip!!!
    Tanya

• bulldinkie
    15 years ago

hairspray ,spray on cloth rub,wipe off with clean cloth

• dianamo_1
    15 years ago

Linnea56, I'm so happy that you tried the acne cream and it worked for you!

• whitetulip
    10 years ago

Dianamo_1 genius! a damp Tesco carrier bag transferred ink (lots) onto lid of my new white vinyl ottoman!! i tried everything to shift it but it wouldn't budge. I read your post re pimple cream (i used Oxy) and it's now as good as new! amazing. I guess after many towels bleached by teenagers and their spot cream it makes perfect sense. Going to try it on an Orla Kiely bag with felt tip on it now. thank you :-)

• mirvine16
    10 years ago

The arm of a light beige leather chair was written on with a ball point pen by my 2 1/2 year old twins. Alcohol and hair spray did little but ........mold and mildew remover did the trick........got it all and didn't seem to phase the leather finish of the leather. I use it a lot here in New Orleans but was surprised to see it work on this.

• bulldinkie
    10 years ago

I use to sell amway ,they always told us to use hairspray on pen markings.