Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Drying/Cleaning Sand in Sandbox

Posted by Erin24 (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 25, 05 at 17:14

I was just out back cleaning up our yard for the fall -- we've had a stretch of colder/rainy weather before this, and I saw the kids left the lid off their sandbox, and it was a virtual swamp. Is there something I can add to it to quicken the drying time and/or something I could put in it to help "clean" the sand? I know this is a longshot -- the top is off, but I don't think the sun is strong enough this time of year to do its job. TIA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Drying/Cleaning Sand in Sandbox

It would be good to spread the sand out if possible maybe on a tarp of some kind. Or maybe you could put some in the lid and leave the rest in the sandbox. I'd cover it at night to avoid nighttime moisture collecting on it. (Also keep cats out.) Of course I don't know your weather and how sunny or dry it is during the day. Also, I'd keep turning it with a shovel some tool. Otherwise, toss it in the garden and replace it when it's time.

o

Because of that I never had a sandbox with a "floor"...just sides and the rain just drained away.
I would think that sand will be moldy and musty, unless is is very new and would sprinkle it on the gardens and get new for the kids to play in.....and punch holes in the bottom of that sand box!
Linda c

o

I don't think that it's really possible to clean the sand itself, once it's 'swampy'. I wouldn't trust it as a place for the kids to play in anyway. Too much potential fungal growth.

I'd dump the sand in some obscure garden area, clean the thing out with lots of soapy water, dry it and put it away for spring if this were me.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here