Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
hand soap stained my granite

Posted by blue_fastback (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 26, 08 at 15:38

I thought my granite top was sealed good but I guess not. The kids got liquid hand soap all over the top and stained it. I used a product called Stone Specific Stain Remover from H.D. It worked good but one spot will not come out. It is around the faucet. I took the faucet off and tried again and still no luck. This stain remover that I bought is a paste that is applied and then covered for 24 hours. any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: hand soap stained my granite

Sounds like the oil in the soap penetrated the granite. I have a marble countertop that got stained by Dial Liquid Hand Soap. It left a light orangish stain in thev marble. I tried everything, including alcohol, Mr. Clean Eraser, and Softscrub,nothing worked.

o

You can get it out by using a poultice. Go here for instructions.

Here is a link that might be useful: Stain Removal

o

A home made poultice is what came to my mind - acetone and cornstarch. But it seems that the Stone Specific Stain Remover that the OP used is a poultice.

o

I just had a granite countertop installed and didn't seal it yet (thought it came sealed) and my son spilled moisturizing liquid hand soap which caused a big dark stain too. I am beside myself. How can something like SOAP used in a bathroom be a danger? No one warned me about this or I never would have bought granite. QUESTION: For those of you with same problem, what worked for you? How do you prevent a recurrence? Please help! Thanks.

o

You prevent a recurrence by sealing the granite and being more careful with the soap. You could put a tray under the soap dispenser.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here