Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kathyj53_gw

Cleaning Stainless Steel Refrigerator

kathyj53
16 years ago

After trying several commercial stainless steel cleaners that did not work as well as I thought they would, I tried a weak solution of Murphy's Oil Soap in water (about 2 Tbsp. to a gallon of water), and wiped the front of my LG fridge with this. I immediately dried the surface with a microfiber cloth, and it turned out beautifully. The best part is that it does not leave an oily or greasy residue, and I am able to spot clean fingerprints, etc.

Comments (7)

• auburnfan
    16 years ago

Thanks for the tip! I'm about to get SS appliances for the first time, and I'm really dreading the smudges and prints. I asked at the appliance store, and the lady (of course) told me I should buy their wipes. I clean the kitchen *a lot*, and I know that wouldn't be cost effective for me. Murphy's Oil sounds much cheaper!

• reeree_natural
    16 years ago

what also works great believe it or not is just plain water and a micro fiber cloth. I usually use my hand held steamer, but I have also at times wet one end of the cloth and buffed it dry with the other half and it it takes finger prints off, it is shinny and looks brand new..I think the trick is the cloth..Ree

• kathyj53
    Original Author
    16 years ago

just as a followup, I am still able to keep the surface of the refrigerator clean with just a wipe of a damp cloth, followed by a quick dry with a microfiber or cotton dishcloth. Never again will I waste money on those expensive stainless steel "cleaners".

• talby
    12 years ago

OMG! My appliances are about 7 yrs. old now. I take excellent care of my belongings and my remodeled kitchen still looks new. I was told to use Sheila Shine on my fridg, Inox cream on my sink and faucet,&Dacor SS clnr. on my cooktop and ovens.
    I have been doing that as instructed. But all of a sudden, I noticed a kind of oily, sticky coating on my cooktop,ovens, and fridg. big time! I was going nuts. I read every entry on this blog and ended up using Goo Gone on the electronic control pads and Orange Clean Foam (by Orange Glo Int'l) which seemed to be the only thing that took off the oily, sticky from all the SS. That has left faint streaks which I don't like, but it's so much better than what had obviously built up over the years. I am throwing out ALL my stainless steel cleaners and going to try the water and microfiber cloth that seemed to get the most votes. But if anyone has anything more updated, I would love to hear about it. All these posts are several years old. (BTW...once this can of Orange Clean Foam is gone, it's gone. They don't seem to make it any longer. Why are GREAT products always discontinued??) One more question about the ZEP that many had recommended. WHICH ONE? There are 2 foams. Also on SprayWay...is it the glass cleaner or do they have SS products? Thanks to any and all who read this.

• SharperClean
    12 years ago

Use straight rubbing alcohol on a micro fiber cloth to clean the exterior of your stainless steel refrigerator. Rubbing alcohol, it works well and does not leave streaks.

• MollyMay
    11 years ago

I tried what I used on my last stainless refrig but didn't work on my appliance in my new house.(Zep) I have found different things work. One cleaner might work for one type of SS but not another. My Sub Zero had the handles on the drawers recalled. The sub zero guy came out.He noticed my SS refrig had oily look and my dishwasher had the drip water stain down the front. He said use Pledge multi purpose. It worked on all my SS appliances. I have different brand appliances in my kitchen all SS. I am going to try the rubbing alcohol as it would be cheaper and someone on the forum suggested rubbing alochol for cleaning a stone shower.

• jannie
    11 years ago

Method makes a stainless steel spray that works just great-I use it on my SS sink.