Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do I get rid of all the new house construction dust?

Posted by kgore (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 25, 09 at 14:48

We are almost done with construction on our new house. There is so much dust and fine sanding particles floating in the air. I was curious to know if there is anyway to remove all those little particles before kicking on the A/C and moving in.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do I get rid of all the new house construction dust?

Wipe with damp sponges, dispose of the sponges as you go. I did this when we had our floors sanded. Could you believe there was even dust inside my closed kitchen cabinets? Luckily that was before we had kids, so our babies weren't exposed to that cr@p.

o

Start with cleaning the walls, windows and high shelves, moldings, etc. Use an extension pole with a damp mircrofibre if you're not into ladders. I found a large microfibre mop works great for dusting the walls. Don't forget the dust clings to wood moldings, windows, top of doors and their frames, light fixtures and the bulbs too!!

Literally, you have to wipe down every surface, whether it be in front of you, above you, hiding from you or beneath you. LOL

Vacum the floor really well after you're finished with all the other surfaces then mop with a mild solution of vinegar and water. Of course if you have carpets, just vacum really well.

I just started cleaning our new new house and boy, it is not an easy taste. Well, it's easy in that the dust comes right up, but there is so much to clean!! Good luck.

o

i typically hire a cleaning service ...and then when they leave i wipe everything down again myself. if anything it makes it a tad easier!

o

I would get the ducts cleaned first. you can wipe your heart out (or your arms!) but it's all going to be back in the air when you turn your furnace on. You won't believe the stuff that is in your ducts from construction!

o

slightly off topic, but a testament to the changing times. When we moved into our new house 12 years ago my mom couldn't believe the dust everywhere. She said when they moved into their new house, almost 40 years ago now, it was move in ready. No dust or dirt.

o

I hear there's a drywall that drops its dust to the floor when cut (and minimizes the mess) unlike most that linger/swirl around in the air.
Has anyone heard of this?

o

Good cleaning tips everyone!

I found that my furnace filter needed to be changed almost once a month for 4 -6 months after we moved in post-remodel. Now we're back to changing it once a year, so I figure that it was due to all the lingering construction dust.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here