Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to Safely clean a fireclay sink? (Rohl Shaw)

Posted by barnfield (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 9, 06 at 14:41

I've had a Rohl Shaw fireclay sink for about 4 months now, and darn it if the only way I can get that sucker clean on the bottom is SoftScrub w/Bleach. I hate to do it 'cause I know how harsh it is, but there it is.... somebody PLEASE tell me what else works!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to Safely clean a fireclay sink? (Rohl Shaw)

try a vinegar and baking soda paste..that is one expensive sink and I would call the manufacturer for explicit instructions.

o

I use Scratch Free Comet, it has bleach. So far so good, after about 2 years.

o

Hmmmm. What exactly is the problem? Staining or marks from pans? I have a Shaw's sink also (that I absolutely love). Every day after I do the dishes, I squirt a dollop of dish soap on my OCedar green scrubbie pad and swab over the sink surface and rinse it off with the sprayer and after three years it still looks absolutely white, shiny and brand new. Having said that, my husband washed up my canning kettle in the sink and it left what looks like a tiny pencil line in the bottom of the sink that I can't seem to get off even with cleanser. Not sure what to do to remove that!

o

I replaced my Rohl (Allia) fireclay sink about 6 weeks ago. The first one had a crack (Which Rohl blamed on my contractor!). The first sink had been installed for about 5 months and I never seemed to have any staining. The new one started showing faint staining within one week. I wrote Rohl and they never responded. I only use dish soap to clean it, since I am afraid of damaging the finish. I know that there are products available for these sinks. I would be wary of SoftScrub, as it seemed to make my mother's new Kohler more susceptible to staining. I am going to the plumbing fixture showroom where I bought my sink to ask about products. Why should these be so much more trouble than the sinks of old? I will post if I get any really helpful information.

o

My Shaws fireclay sink is about two years old. I've used softscrub (not with bleach) very gently and sparingly on it and lately I've noticed that the bottom of the sink seemed to get dirty quicker. When it's clean it looks as clean and shiny as new. But... something is different. Maybe the finish may not be as smooth as it used to be? I fear that I may have permanently damaged it, albeit not horribly.

Any ideas?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here