Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barnfield_gw

How to Safely clean a fireclay sink? (Rohl Shaw)

barnfield
17 years ago

I've had a Rohl Shaw fireclay sink for about 4 months now, and darn it if the only way I can get that sucker clean on the bottom is SoftScrub w/Bleach. I hate to do it 'cause I know how harsh it is, but there it is.... somebody PLEASE tell me what else works!

Comments (14)

• mscratch
    17 years ago

try a vinegar and baking soda paste..that is one expensive sink and I would call the manufacturer for explicit instructions.

• marzz
    17 years ago

I use Scratch Free Comet, it has bleach. So far so good, after about 2 years.

• sweetsofalo_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

I replaced my Rohl (Allia) fireclay sink about 6 weeks ago. The first one had a crack (Which Rohl blamed on my contractor!). The first sink had been installed for about 5 months and I never seemed to have any staining. The new one started showing faint staining within one week. I wrote Rohl and they never responded. I only use dish soap to clean it, since I am afraid of damaging the finish. I know that there are products available for these sinks. I would be wary of SoftScrub, as it seemed to make my mother's new Kohler more susceptible to staining. I am going to the plumbing fixture showroom where I bought my sink to ask about products. Why should these be so much more trouble than the sinks of old? I will post if I get any really helpful information.

• camilleinnh
    12 years ago

My Shaws fireclay sink is about two years old. I've used softscrub (not with bleach) very gently and sparingly on it and lately I've noticed that the bottom of the sink seemed to get dirty quicker. When it's clean it looks as clean and shiny as new. But... something is different. Maybe the finish may not be as smooth as it used to be? I fear that I may have permanently damaged it, albeit not horribly.

Any ideas?

• lluviac7
    8 years ago

A mixture of 50% bleach and 50% water left in the sink for one hour and then wiped down with a soft sponge and dried is recommended. My gramma has been doing this for years on her sink and it looks like a brand new sink even though it's from the 70's.

• Mary Shearer
    6 years ago

We just bought an expensive fireclay sink at Ferguson's and they recommended Astonish Cleaning Paste. Also, Astonish says that it's "for cleaning pot marks on fireclay and porcelain sinks". I haven't used it yet, but that's what is recommended.

• Mary Shearer
    6 years ago

Ferguson's also recommended "Astonish" to us. I've used it once and it works really well, just more trouble than Comet.

• Compumom
    6 years ago

I have had a Rohl Allia sink since 2003. We clean it with a Clorox spray. When there's s mark that needs removal I use Bon Ami powder.

• HU-438189600
    3 years ago

I find Bar keepers friend takes scratches out of sink

• HU-726007192
    last year

I have a Shaw’s Original Fireclay sink and it is chipped, has rust stains and the rust staining is from the $60.00:sink strainer basket that rusted after i made a paste of Barkeepers Friend and water and left it for a few hours hoping to whiten the chipped places prior to using Porcekafix which was recommended after calling everywhere including the Shaw's dealer to find someone who would repair the sink. i had a kholer cast iron sink for years and NEVER had an issue. I found someone who could come and spray epoxy on it to the tune of $650.00 but it would cover up the Shaw's Original blue diamond logo and actually decrease my homes resale vakue. So i just spent $460.00 to try to rescue the sink. $259.00 of which was for the Shaws original sink strainer basket only to read in the instructiins DO NOT use any cleaners with bleach and it is made out of plastic on the bottom neck of the drainer that connects to the plumbing. and the sink part is supposed to be Oil Rubbed Bronze but it is very light brown and cheap metal, and has the blue diamond Shaw's logo on it.....it is most assuredly it is NOT worth $260.00!! i also purchased a sink grid for the bottom of the sink to the tune of another $150.00 that is supposed to prevent chipping but it is made out of stainless steel which your not supposed to leave in a Fireclay sink overnight due to rust staining (which nothing removes rust) .when i tried to order the white plastic coated sink grid, i was informed do not get that one as the plastic peels oftf of them...GRRRRR ..well then how in the hello jimminy crickets do you keep this sink chip, stain, rust free and white!!!!!! I hate this sink and just had beautiful quartz Countertops installed and I tried for MONTHS to find another sink to replace this sink with. The cabinets are all custom made from the previous owner who had the Shaw's sink installed and because the profile of the Shaw's Original sink is already cut into the sink base cabinet, i would have to get another one custom built just to change the sink...or buy another Shaw's Original sink......#£|| NO!! I am a Builder/Designer and would NEVER spec or recomend another Fire Clay sink and feel that the advertising pertaining to them is fraudulent at the very least and i wish the previous owner who purchased this sink had it stuffed up her nose....and another part of her anatomy.. as well as Shaw's themselves....

• HU-726007192
    last year

And do get me started on the water stains from my husband forgetting to take the tub out of the sink that we use to wash dishes in...he left it in ONE night and we still have the water mark left behind. seriously a freaking water mark in a kitchen sink that can not be removed is utterly rediculous and yes we have a water softner system and so not have hard water. The reccomendations for a Fireclay sink specificly state wipe all water out with each use......😳🙄🥺😤😤😤😤 It is supposed to be the hardest working appliance in your kitxhen not be as fragile as my crystal stem ware silver serrvice!!!!

• AllOne
    last year
    last modified: last year

I, too, hate this Shaws sink! We installed it in a brand new kitchen and it is supposed to be a "workhorse" (according to manufacturer) but it is extremely delicate!! We are so careful and yet it still gets chips very, very easily. Don't even try and wash pots or pans in it!! We have the sink grids and soft water, and now we are starting to get yellowing on the bottom of the sink. We never keep dishes in the sink, we wash it down and dry it throughout the day. Have always used soap and water to clean it. It has been installed less than a year and it looks worse than the 10 years old sink we replaced. I HATE this sink. Unless, this sink will never be used, save yourself the headache. Our housekeeper almost quit over this sink, she was so discouraged. :(

• HU-394811596
    9 months ago

Bar Keepers Friend or Bon Ami. Also using a grate helps protect it.