Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosessecretgarden_gw

cleaning microwave oven?

rosessecretgarden
13 years ago

hi all!

How do you clean your microwave oven? I do with kitchen napkin but still it is not stain less. any nice easy tips for that would be appreciated.

Comments (7)

• jannie
    13 years ago

I put a glass bowl filed with water in the micro, then cook on High for 15 minutes. The boiling water vapor coats all the sides and any messes can be wiped off with a paper towel. Sometimes I add some cut up lrmons or lemon peels or a squirt of liquid dish detergent to the water. as for the outside, I use any spray kitchen cleaner (Formula 409, Fanyastic, Cinch, etc) and paper towels. My microwave is not stainless, it's white plastic with a touch keypad.

• callie25
    13 years ago

The method jannie mentioned works great. I do the process a little differently in that I microwave water in a small glass bowl on high for 5 minutes. I let it sit in the microwave for another 10-15 minutes or so (depending on how dirty the microwave got) then wipe clean. Same process, just saves a little electricity.

• geguymw
    13 years ago

If you heat up water for as little as 2 minutes,that will work. Keep the door close and allow the heated steam to permeate the stuck on food bits; making it soft. Then you can easily wipe the interior clean with a cloth.

I sometimes will get out my steamer and clean out the interior. Same purpose as the heated water.

• arizonarose
    13 years ago

I do the inside like geguymw...about 2-minutes and wipe down. The ouside...like jannie...mine is white also w/touch pad. Just wipe it down with whatever I'm using on the counters...and dry it with a clean towel so it doesn't streak.

• Frankie_in_zone_7
    13 years ago

Ditto steam--I do after making a cup of hot tea-- and I usually still spray with Red Juice or something.

I hate to clean the microwave--I think because you have to wipe and wipe to chase all the bits off of 5 interior surfaces + corners. I start with a clean or mostly clean paper towel (isn't it always red sauce that splatters?) or napkin and finish with dishcloth and still have to rinse cloth several times and chase bits. Also I never seem to think of it right before I start the dishwasher when I could add the glass plate to the DW.

I have gotten a little better by chanting, it's not that bad, just do it, just do it.

• mike_kaiser_gw
    13 years ago

I hate to be party pooper and not have anything more to suggest than soap and water? Like when you're washing the dishes, you take whatever you're using to wash the dishes and clean the microwave.

Of course it works better if you (1) cover whatever you're microwaving so that it doesn't splatter and (2) clean the interior regularly so that grime doesn't get cooked on.

• carla35
    13 years ago

I microwave vinegar for a few minutes, then wipe off and rinse with water...