Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Build up inside of toliet bowl?

Posted by brandon43512 (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 28, 13 at 13:23

Hello there!

I have a stubborn build up inside our toliet bowl. I'm not sure what it is. I have looked up several different pictures of calcium and other minerals but none really looked like what I have.

It has been there for about 3 months now, we clean the toilet regularly but it still remains. The surface of the toliet is smooth when you touch it. I have tried lime away on it and tried scrubbing it but the stubborn build up/stain remains. I was going to go get some Muriatic Acid but figured I should ask first before I spend more money.

Any suggestions : )

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Build up inside of toliet bowl?

have you tried a Mr. Clean magic eraser?

o

It looks like a stain from well water, does your water have an odor? If city water see if any of your neighbors have the same proble. Good luck M

Red

o

We live in the city. We have been living here for about 6 months and it started to appear like 3 months ago. I tried a pumice on it and it didn't do anything to it and neither did the magic eraser. I'm thinking somehow the porcelain itself is damaged somehow and the "stains" is actually the porcelain without the white coating on it maybe?

o

I had some horrible stains on a toilet bowl that I thought were impossible to remove.

I turned the water off to the bowl and then dumped a bucket of water down it (to empty it out.) Then I wet some paper towels with bleach and pressed them on the stains, and let it sit there overnight.

The stains were gone! (And an added bonus: the bleach eats up the paper towels, so you can flush them easily.)

If you don't want to go through the trouble of turning off the water, just wet one paper towel with bleach and press it on a discolored area above the water line. Let it sit overnight and see if that makes a difference.

o

You also might try denture tablets as long as all the stain is under water. I drop in a tablet in the toilet once a week, wait about 20 minutes and then scrub.

Your stain looks like rust stains. Could it be that? If so, a cleanser like Zud would remove them.

o

Update: Tried Barkeeper's Friend and Goof Off Rust Remover, and nothing happened with either of them. This is really erking me on what is wrong with it, the surface is smooth so I'm thinking somehow the porcelain was damaged because our toilet doesn't flush well so a couple of times, urine and/or feces would be sitting in there without our knowledge until the next time we went. But does that usually deteriorate a toilet bowl lining? I didn't think it could eat through the porcelain. I'll try the bleach method too.

o

You could also try a pumice stone. Every few months, I have to scrub my toilet bowls with one because of hard water rings. Takes a lot of elbow grease and the sound is like fingernails on a chalkboard, but it works!

o

Yes, a pumice stone works, too. Just make sure you keep the surface and the pumice stone wet when you use them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here