Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bickybee_gw

Broom Recommendation

bickybee
9 years ago

I'm frustrated with brooms that fall apart or have bristles that prematurely wear out. Anybody have a recommendation?

I use a broom on my hardwood floors plus have concrete outdoor areas to sweep.

Comments (5)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

Don't you use a different broom for outside than for hardwood floors?

For hardwoods, I use a Bissell horsehair broom, I think it's called a 'polished floor broom'. A light touch finds even tiny dust particles and sweeps it where you want it.

For outdoor use (garage, walks, and patio slab), I use any sturdy straw broom....or the hose.

I'll be curious as to other recommendations.

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    9 years ago

I love my brooms from Nessentials.

Room Broom Split Horsehair A1104
    Dusting Broom Vienna Style Horsehair A1110

Here is a link that might be useful: Nessentials

• bickybee
    Original Author
    9 years ago

rhizo, for outdoors I use an old indoor broom. After my brooms are too worn to use indoors they get relegated to outdoor use. I'm in Southern California where the drought necessitates not using more water than we need. So no hosing of concrete. Your sturdy straw broom sounds like a good idea. They're cheap too!

It looks like your Bissell broom has been discontinued. Too bad. It looked like a great option.

walnutcreek, I think I'm in love. Nessentials is right up my alley, if I swallow hard when I enter my credit card number.

A question on these horsehair brooms: I've never used one and they have shorter bristles than the run of the mill brooms we see. Is the sweeping action different? Do I need to learn a whole new skill? I'm so used to the longer bristles on the cheap brooms I've been using, I'm wondering if there is a learning curve here.

• azmom
    9 years ago

Last spring I ordered this broom from Amazon, so far it has been just wonderful. For the price, it is well worth it.

It cleans floor so well that we throw away old booms. I love the two ends that clean bottom of cabinets effortlessly.

When the broom gets dirty, I hose it down with garden hose and leave it dry on the patio, very easy.

I am thinking about getting a couple more as the upcoming Christmas gifts.

Here is a link that might be useful: Boar Hair Broom

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    9 years ago

Bickybee, I use the same sweeping technique I was taught as a child. The broom bristles should not be left to sit on the floor so hang it when through with it.