Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How does one clean an electronic remote?

Posted by albert_135 (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 28, 09 at 12:42

I've a Dish Network remote that has gotten sluggish i.e. one must carefully depress each key firmly or it won't work.

Dish remotes are programmed to the specific TV so one cannot just go out and buy a generic replacement at WalMart.

Dish service is really, really quite tedious and very complicated and sometimes expensive. I have not contacted them yet. I want to avoid them if at all possible.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How does one clean an electronic remote?

Clean? I've never done it and probably should think about doing so. I don't think, unless you have REALLY messy remote habits, that your problem is with cleanliness. I assume you've replaced your batteries. If so and your remote still is unresponsive -- yes, indeed you can replace remotes and they can be programmed to your service and television model. We've done it a couple of times over the past 15 years with different TV's. Sometimes the remotes just become unworkable (for the lack of a better word). You should consider getting a new remote; read your manual and re-program your TV and service. It's done all the time -- good luck!

o

If you've already replaced the batteries, try using some peroxide on a toothbrush. Don't soak the brush, just make it damp then rub around the buttons. This should help loosen any surface dirt.

o

Don't wet it use compressed air to loosen and then use a dry toothbrush--repeat if necessary. Then maintain it by using the air every once in a while

o

I occasionally clean all my "electronics" including phones, remotes,lightswitches, etc. by dabbing on some rubbing alcohol with a Q-tip. Keeps things from getting "gunky".

o

Absolutely rubbing alcohol. What every applicator you use, q-tip or paper towel make it just damp not wet with the alcohol. Alcohol will remove the gunk, kill the germs and evaporate fairly quickly.

o

Deep cleaning instructions, how to take it apart etc., may be found at How to Clean a Remote Control along with links to cleaning similar products.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here