Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vacuumfreak

is there a natural way to eliminate static cling?

vacuumfreak
17 years ago

I have some work shirts that cling to me sometimes. I usually carry that anti-static spray, but I forget it often. Sometimes I run out. Is there a natural way to eliminate static cling in case I don't have the spray? It is soooo annoying! Thanks!

Comments (16)

• jannie
    17 years ago

I wet a wash cloth, wring it out, and put it in the dryer with clothing that needs to be pressed or have pet hair removed. Put it on high heat for 5 to 15 minutes. My daughter does this routine every morning while getting ready for work. She walks out the door looking newly-ironed.

• bud_wi
    17 years ago

Rubbing hand lotion on pantyhose legs while wearing them will eliminate static so that skirts don't cling. I'm sure it would work for shirts except for the fact that you probably don't want to smear a tin coating of lotion on your shirts. I guess it depends on how much do you hate static?

Washing your clothes and using a fabric softner will eleiminate static. Of course this is not a *natural* method but neither is using Static Guard from an aerosol can which is the method you use currently.

Just spritzing you clothes with water while wearing them will get rid of the static but static begains to build up immediately after, once you start moving around again. It does not eleiminate it for good like Static Guard or Downey does.

• joppa45
    17 years ago

for Reducing Static Cling Pin a small safety pin to the seam of your slip and you will not have A Clingy skirt or dress. Same thing works with slacks that cling when Wearing panty hose. Place pin in seam of slacks and - voila - static Is Gone.

• good36
    17 years ago

I second lotion...... on the body parts that are affected.
    Judy

• bud_wi
    17 years ago

Jopa45, do they even still sell slips anymore?

My mother still likes to wear them but can't find them in any store. I offered to help her shop by checking the Internet, since at 86, she has no interest in learning computers herself.

The only places that had ladies slips were sites offering "Vintage" lingere, usually second-hand stuff for collectors. I figured slips went the way of the bustle....

• lindac
    17 years ago

There are lots of slips available in the net...google ladie's slip and you will find pages and pages.
    As for eliminating static? I suppose you could always drag a chain like the big trucks do.......
    Rubbing the offending undergarment with a dryer sheet helps a lot...but I don't know how "natural" it is...but then, but for silk, natural fabrics don't get static cling.
    Linda c

• socks
    17 years ago

I recently purchased a slip from Lingere Direct.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lingere Direct

• bud_wi
    17 years ago

Thanks. I'll pass the info on.

• meldy_nva
    17 years ago

I wear layers of silk most of the year, and work on a computer all day in a dry office environment. Sounds like a sure-fire recipe for static cling, doesn't it? And in fact, the first time I wore a silk shirt over silk undies and then touched a doorknob -- I learned you can actually SEE the static spark before your hand touches the metal!! A friend advised to use body lotion (on the skin not the fabric) just before dressing, and that does eliminate most cling. But I haven't had any problem at any time with static or cling since learning to wash the silk with shampoo and adding vinegar to the rinse water. I honestly don't know if there is an ingredient in the shampoo or if the vinegar is reason, but I will say I haven't had a problem with static for several years.

• Steph_Nutrition-Solution_net
    16 years ago

To meldy nva: it's probably the vinegar that's eliminating your static. I use vinegar as a fabric softener & odor eliminator. But I also use a vinegar rinse on my hair because, after using shampoo, my hair often has a lot of static. The shampoo doesn't eliminate the static, but the vinegar sure does!

Here is a link that might be useful: CleaningGreen.Net

• ebear1271
    16 years ago

White vinegar in the rinse cycle is a great fabric softener. I also use ECOS detergent which is all natural and has an added soy softener in it. They have it at my local Costco and it's very reasonable there. The only time I have a problem is with a polyester-heavy load. Then I have to use a dryer sheet. Mountain Green makes an all natural softener sheet. They're a bit expensive, but if you only use it with your shirts it wouldn't be too bad.

http://www.mountaingreen.biz/index.html
    http://ecos.com/

• jannie
    16 years ago

There used to be a spray called Static Guard made to remove static cling, but I haven't seen it in years. I did buy a can of it once, probably 25 years ago. Long gone.

• bud_wi
    16 years ago

They still make it and it is available in stores in my area.

OP wanted something instead of using Static Guard.

Here is a link that might be useful: Static Guard Website

• jannie
    16 years ago

Yeah,that's the stuff. I remember the blue and orange can.

• sophiecarr
    12 years ago

you can use form of dryer balls. These balls are usually in the form of plastic or wool. What these dyer balls do is to ensure that clothes are kept separated in the dryer, and this goes a far way in reducing the static in your clothes.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to get rid of static cling