Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
best way to clean microwave:

Posted by monaw (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 17, 08 at 12:02

The best way to clean a crud ridden microwave is to wet down a COTTON dish towel until it's almost dripping, put it in the microwave and run it on high for 4 minutes and leave it alone for about 10 minutes without opening the door. (no it won't catch on fire or hurt the towel either)
Remove the hot wet cloth carefully, then wipe down the whole inside with the wet towel followed by a clean dry cloth. You may have to let the hot cloth cool off a minute or two. You can squirt a little dish soap on the wet cloth if you want to cut through the grease.
This works like a charm no matter how dirty your microwave is!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: best way to clean microwave:

I fill a pyrex bowl with water and stick it in the microwave and run it at least ten minutes. open the door, wipe down the sides with paper towels. For a nice smell, slice a lemon into the water.

o

I agree with both of these methods. Any way you can get the inside warm and steamy, that's how the hard crud loosens up and wipes off.

o

And note OP says "cotton". Some synthetics burst into flame quickly. I really stunk up the place when I left a knitted potholder under a bowl in the microwave.

o

Like with a regular oven, it'll be much easier to clean if you wipe up spills immediately when using it. But how many of us actually do that? I don't! So I use a 2 cup Pyrex measuring cup or a glass mug or two or a bowl or whatever with water, microwave to get it hot and steamy, let it sit for a while, wipe down and it's done.

o

I agree with all these methods. However, stay by the microwave with the dish towel. If the towel dries up, it WILL catch fire! The bowl is a much safer way. Add some lemon slices or orange slices. They smell delicious and the acid will eat through nasty messes.

o

I learned yrs ago to just put a large container w/water & one drop of dishwashing liquid in. Turn on for several minutes & then let sit for a few minutes. A paper towel or microfiber cloth will take everything right off. The orange & lemon ideas are great!

o

After years of battling microwave gunk, I found that what works for me is to mostly fill a glass measuring cup with water, add white vinegar and (optional) a couple of drops of lemon essential oil. Microwave the measuring cup for five minutes and after that let the microwave sit for five minutes unopened. Then just wipe away the condensation! It works perfectly.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here