Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Deep cleaning tile floor next to wood floor

Posted by jenn (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 1, 13 at 11:34

The small tile floor in our master bathroom needs a good cleaning. The grout is white and looks dingy after many years. This floor is adjacent to our master bedroom which has new wood flooring, so I'll need to be very careful about using excess water which will flow through the grout lines into the wood.

So here's what I'm thinking of doing: Lay a large beach towel on the floor at the edge of doorway to soak up any water heading toward the wood. I'm planning to use powdered Oxyclean in water and let it soak into the really dirty spots. After a long soak, use our wet/dry Shop-Vac to pick up the water and the dirt.

Does anyone have a better idea? I see this as a half-day job on my hands and knees.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Deep cleaning tile floor next to wood floor

Letting water soak on the floor is a bad idea, IMO.

I think (not certain) that Oxyclean loses its effectiveness once the water cools.

If I were you, I would buy a good grout cleaner and try that first. I have used the StoneTech products with good results, but there are many grout cleaners out there that will do the job.

o

I've read many comments from people who tried Oxyclean (or any oxygenated bleach product) to clean their dirty grout and their results are impressive. I used a paste of it to clean the tan-colored grout on our kitchen counter top -- let it sit, scrubbed with a toothbrush, wiped it up -- stains gone! Also, I don't think every grout cleaner is the same, as some are too corrosive and will wear down the grout.

I found this page about cleaning ceramic tile and grout which reviews 3 different products. Be sure to read the user comments at the bottom where they submit some recipes worth trying.

o

I would think using that much water would be bad for the grout. It surely helps hold the tile in place. I had tile in my entry way and bathroom at my last house and I chose matching grout for my tile which was a dark burgundy with color variation in it for my entry way. It was very pretty and never have a problem it. I opted for lino in my new home and people comment on the realistic look of the lino that looks like wood.

o

Whynotstay so far away then just be a little careful closer to hardwood..Maybe duct tape plastic near where they join less chance of getting hardwood wet.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here