Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christinen_gw

Shark Steam Mop

christinen
16 years ago

Hello,

My name is Christine. I just purchased my Shark Steam Mop online. I can't wait to receive it after reading all of these wonderful reviews. Did the shark come with the carpet attachment shown on TV?

Comments (156)

• reeree_natural
    16 years ago

lynne_melb
    I don't think the shark mop will work on concrete..power washing is best for that. I am happy you and your sister love the mop! Happy steaming! Ree

renwald
    695.00 is outrageous !!!! I have the Scunci steamer and absolutely love mine. There are good reviews, and bad.. ..I have mine about four years now, itÂs still powerful and works like I just bought it. I find it holds a good amount of water and itÂs easy to carry around. I never use any of the attachments, I spray and wipe with a paper towel. Wonderful and fast to clean bathrooms and cuts time more than half.. very fast and everything is sanitized. Also great for all the nooks and crannies.. like the crease on your stove, microwaves (inside and out) I even do my windows and use a window micro fiber cloth.. spotless! There is a million and one uses.. The link below is what I have.
    Ree

Here is a link that might be useful: scunci steamer

• greer3
    16 years ago

I purchased this little mop for my girlfriend after listening to her process in cleaning her wood floors. She called me and said she loved it besides some other good words of thanks. It pays to listen. I'm happy and I don't have to clean her floors!

• Phobie Privett
    16 years ago

Okay, you guys have done it to me! I braved the snow and crowds and went to Lowe's and bought the Shark Ultra Steam Blaster. I used it on my 40 year old NASTY bathroom tile and it's not pristine white, but it's 100x better than what it was! I had tried everything under the sun to clean that tile, nothing would work! Cleaned out corners I've never been able to get to, cleaned the grill under the fridge, cleaned the toilet seat hinges, etc., etc! I LOVE IT! Thanks so much to you all for the idea! This may change my "housecleaning" life!
    ReeRee-I do have one question for you. While the steam blaster seems to be cleaning things really well, I'm not convinced it's hot enough to actually sanitize. What do you think? I'm thinking I probably still need to clean around the toilet with a sanitizer. Also, OT, but I tried your suggestion of fabric softener sheets for the soap scum in the shower. WONDERFUL! But it did not take off the hard water spots that seem to be on there permanently. Also didn't take off the gross crud off the bottom of my texturized shower pan (tried the steamer also, but didn't work). Any advice to clean that? THANKS!

• sparklysue
    16 years ago

Hi, everyone! this has been the most fun, reading and practically getting to know everyone. Renee, you have been most helpful and I love all your hints.

Now, my dilemma - Best Buy is sold out and they have free shipping! :( I live in San Diego, does anyone know if they have seen one in a Best Buy here? or have they called Best Buy to see when they'll be back in stock? Thanks!

• reeree_natural
    16 years ago

superchick

The water in the steamer is 220 degrees, it is hot enough to kill germs. I clean my bathroom with it and I feel it is sanitized . I also use a natural cleaner at times as well. I love my steamer, you are so right.. it gets all the nooks and crannies that is almost impossible to get with traditional cleaning. For my shower glass, I donÂt use fabric sheets ( I donÂt use them in my laundry , so I donÂt have them to try, that was talk2bw I think..?? ) I use Brillo with oxy clean, ( or regular brillo) works wonderful, removes water spots and does not scratch the glass. The steamer does not get that off. We just put in a new bathroom, we use to have a "plastic" base..even though I do not use any chemicals to clean..I had to use soft scrub to get it white and clean. I used the scrub part of a sponge, scrubbed it well, then let the soft scrub sit for hours. It was the only thing that got it clean. Now we have an acrylic base and it is a pleasure to clean..no scrubbing, I just spray with my natural cleaner and it sparkles. I am so happy to see more people avoiding chemicals and doing more cleaning naturally! I hope this was helpful! Ree

• Phobie Privett
    16 years ago

Thanks, ree for the suggestions. I will definately be trying those for my nasty shower. I was just concerned abou the temp. of my steamer (the Ultra Blaster). While it's cleaning very well, it doesn't seem all that hot. I can put my hand near the steam and it's not totally unbearable...nothing in the manual (I don't think) about the temp.

• reeree_natural
    16 years ago

superchick
    hmmm..I can't put my hand near the steamer..it's very hot. I have the Scunci Steamer..I never used the Ultra Blaster, so I can say if that is the way that one is or not (sorry)
    Do they have a CS number you can call and ask how hot the steam should be? I think that will be your best bet..other wise, it seems to be doing a great job and cleaning well, right? If it's steam.. I am sure it is hot... (don't put your hand too close) Ree

• lynne_melb
    16 years ago

Ree, as always, thanks for the information. I really appreciate it.

Sparklysue, the last time I checked (couple days ago), Target also had free shipping. Also, their web site will let you search for availability in stores in your area.

• sparklysue
    16 years ago

Thanks Lynne for the info. This must be the gift to buy for Christmas, everyone is sold out. But, I've ordered it from Target, hopefully it gets here sooner than later.

Sorry, Ree, I had your name wrong. You are the one I was thanking for all the help and hints. Now, I'm looking for the Scunci steamer. I've never cleaned this much in my life. Or at least, until I get the steamers. sue

• reeree_natural
    16 years ago

Hi Lynne & Sue
    you are welcome! I am just glad (as I said before) more of us are eliminating harsh chemicals in our homes. truthfully , long ago when someone told me they only cleaned naturally, I thought ..how clean could their house really be ?.. I literally bought every cleaner on the store shelf and was a big time bleach freak.. now that I have been chem free for years, my house and air quality is so much cleaner (chemical residue is really gross)..when I started with steam five plus years ago..I was hooked! I remember when I first got my handheld steamer , I stayed up for hours into the night steaming everything in sight..I really have to laugh..but it really is a good thing. (it's so fast too!) Anything that can cut cleaning time more than half that really works, has my vote (smile)

Sue..if you look a few posts up, I posted a link to the scunci steamer.. I think you will have luck ordering it from there.. let me know if you get it and how you like it .. there is a million and one things around the house to use it on..it gets those nooks and crannies that is impossible to scrub out , I think you will love it! Ree

PS.. (I also use a natural organic cleaner that is excellent and perfume free, just smells clean.. I know.. I am crazy. lol ) Oh!! ..natural detergent too

• jerryand
    16 years ago

Hi,
    I my wife is wanting a steam mob for cleaning her no-wax laminate floors. I looked at the Shark FAQ and found one place they say not to use on no-wax but the next time the question was asked it did not say no-wax. Has anyone used it on a no-wax floor?
    Thanks
    Jerryand

• sparklysue
    16 years ago

Ree, I looked up buzzelectronics.com, but the steamer isn't listed and there are no searches for it. Maybe I have it wrong?

Also, where can I buy just the replacement pads for the shark steamer? I can't order them from the shark site and I ordered the steamer from Target - I can wait to clean for a bit, ha!

• alicahaley
    16 years ago

I just bought the shark steam blaster from lowe's- the one that is 99.00 and has all the attachments. I tried it in two different rooms on my hardwood floors. The floors got really, really wet. And the pads aren't dirty. I am concerned about the wetness mainly. Not good for real wood floors. Is this model different from the shark steam Mop?
    What am I doing wrong?

• Phobie Privett
    16 years ago

Alicahaley-they are two different things. The "mop" is what everyone else on this post is talking about. Doesn't have any attachments or anything, just a mop.
    I just bought the "Blaster" from Lowe's this weekend, also. I really liked it! I definately think yours is not working correctly. Mine took about 10 minutes to heat up and only when I was working on tile for an extended time did the water puddle a little. Do you think it might have anything to do with the pressure cap on the tank? I'm wondering if it's not tightened and not keeping the pressure up? Don't know if that would have anything to do with it. That's definately not how it should be performing.

• sbcichocki
    16 years ago

First time poster here, but after reading about the Shark from Lowe's I just had to chime in. I got the Ultra Steam Blaster last week. My floors are WET after using it, and the steam is very very weak. I am so disappointed! :( I have the white mop head in the wash, and as soon as it is clean and dry it is going back to Lowe's.

• reeree_natural
    16 years ago

sparklysue
    Here is a link..hopefully you'll have luck getting it here..let me know how you make out! Ree

silverraven and alicahaley
    That shouldn't be! Your floors shouldn't be soaking wet, that will cause damage to your wood floors for sure! Maybe consider the shark steam mop. Many of us have it and love it. Your floors are dry in a minute and the dirt that it gets off of them is incredible. Some on here bought the Bissell steam mop and are happy with that also, but I can't talk from my own experience as I have only owned Shark mops for the past five years. I am so sorry to hear your bad experience, must be very disappointing! keep me posted! Ree

Here is a link that might be useful: Scunci steamer

• fubugirl
    16 years ago

I saw it at my walmart.

• sparklysue
    16 years ago

fubugirl: what did you see at Walmart? the scunci or the shark steamer?

I don't seem to be able to order the extra pads on the shark website. You have to order the mop also. Does anyone know how to order just the pads? thanks!

• renwald
    16 years ago

sparklysue: I ordered the extra pads through the website just before Thanksgiving. I recieved them today. At our local walmart here in Houston they have the shark steam mop, not the scunci.

• utopiankitchens
    16 years ago

Can I just make sure that the Shark Mop is the one in the link? I bought this one at Walmart for $79.00, and I am just checking that I got the one that everyone is discussing.

Someone mentioned a gray button, that they had to push to make it steam, and my model DOES NOT have that. It just steams automatically as you stride forward and backward.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Shark Mop at Target

• dannysmommy
    16 years ago

I really want the mop after reading all the posts, but I have a question. My kitchen floor is old linoleum that I have to use a shine product on to keep it shiny. I use Holloway House. Great product. But I'm wondering if the mop will strip off the shiner every time I use it. Maybe I should just use it now and then and reapply the shiner after. Any ideas on how you think this will work? Thanks so much.

• reeree_natural
    16 years ago

sparklysue
    here is a link to the shark supplies page, you can order them right here. Ree

utopiankitchens
    Thats the one!! Enjoy it! Ree

dannysmommy
    I am not sure if it would remove the shiner? Here is CS #
    1-800-798-7398

this is all it has on the site on what not to use it on:
    Q: What uses are NOT recommended for the Shark Steam Mop?
    A: All of the following:
    Unsealed Wood
    No wax floors

Hope this helps! Ree

Here is a link that might be useful: Shark cleaning pads

• fubugirl
    16 years ago

the shark steam mop

• izzy51
    16 years ago

Just making sure this is normal....does everyone find that while mopping, you sometimes have to stop and pump the handle a few times to get extra strong bursts of steam?

• reneee
    16 years ago

I just had to share a funny story.

My hubby and I were getting ready for company to come over when I sent him into the kitchen to vacuum the floor so I could wash it.

I pulled the Shark Steam Mop out of the closet as he left the kitchen to start vacuuming the living room carpet.

When he came back to the kitchen I was winding the cord back on but he thought that I was unwinding the cord. He looked at me and said, "You haven't started yet?"
    When I told him I was done he thought that I was kidding him...especially since the floor was dry and he had only been gone a short time. Of course once he actually looked down and saw how clean the floor was he knew I was telling him the truth. He was speechless.

It doesn't get much better then that!

• errett
    16 years ago

Ree, I havae been following this thread since checking on a Shark Steam mop in Oct. I am lucky as my husband does all my floors and he spotted this one on TV. I finally ordered one today from Target. Free shipping. My question is about the grey button. What is it and is it a problem? And, does it get grout clean? Both those questions have been asked but have heard no anwers.

• reeree_natural
    16 years ago

Hi errett
    Wow ..you are lucky ..hubby does the floors!!!
    The little gray button is where you fill the water. It's tricky at times to get it on because it is so small. .but it's not a problem at all...

grout... if your grout is light in color and shows dirt, it may not get it out . You are just pushing the mop back and forth, so I don't think it would be good for stained grout. It will clean it as it goes over it, but won't remove stained in dirt so to speak. Your floors will be really clean. You (or hubby) may notice streaking the first few times. .it is not the steam. .what happens is, all the chemical residue from the cleaners will start coming off, which will give your floors a streaky look. .don't panic, after a few times with the steam mop, it will all be removed, and you will be so happy in how clean they are. I hope this was a little helpful. .feel free to ask questions. .I will be happy to help!
    enjoy the mop!!
    Ree

• cathyjo
    16 years ago

errett...It's not really a button....I don't know why they call it that....It is actual more of a "screw" or "plug" to hold in the water. It unscrews, you fill the mop with water through a small hole, and screw it in again. VERY easy.
    I am not sure if it cleams the grout. My floor has an almond tile with brown grout, so it's hard to tell. My floors looks great though. By the way....My husband also does my floors. That part is even better than the mop!

• errett
    16 years ago

Thanks for the advice girls. We girls are lucky to have such great guys. The rest of you must really be grateful for the "Shark". I have now seen a couple others that have just come available too. The Steam-Fast and a new Bissell that is not in the stores yet, but at the low prices they should all be avail. soon and easy to find.

Yes, my grout is white and I have porcelain tiles that are a white shade. Very shiny. We have always just used water and vinegar with very hot water. I am sure that is what attacted hubby to the "shark". I am anxious for it to arrive. I really am not thinking there will be streaking but maybe a little as we have been waiting to get it for a bit to do a thorough mopping. There was a faint hazing on the tiles when it was first put down and I really think that is from the grout. Just had to clean it. If the Shark is really good may havc some professional come in and clean and re-do the grout.

Thanks all for all the help. Especially Ree (*;*)

• reeree_natural
    16 years ago

errett
    That was so sweet, thank you! I just have to tell you. .tell hubby not to use vinegar on grout. The acid in the vinegar will deteriorate the grout. I read that some where not to long ago...

with the streaking.. some have written they saw streaks on their floors after using the mop... there is nothing in the mop but water, which will not streak a surface. When you use cleaners regularly , it will build upÂwhen you hit it with hot steam, it loosens the cleaner and activates it . So some have experienced streaks and it may take a few times to remove it. .. I figured IÂd let you know so you wouldnÂt think it was the mopÂ.

Let me know when you get it., and how you and hubby like it. :)
    Ree

• errett
    16 years ago

Ree -

Just checked the Target sight and IT has already been shipped. It says delivery between Dec. 7-12 so eagerly awaiting it. Can hardly wait and Jim is also happy.

Thanks again.
    C.

• renwald
    16 years ago

errett: I've owned my SSM for a little over a week now, I make excuses to use it! Like Ree said, you may notice streaking for the first few uses. I cheated by using the SSM, waiting for the floors to dry (w/c didn't take but 2 mins) and reapeating that for about 4 or 5x.
    The SSM works really well by using steam to lift dirt and undissolved solutions(old cleaners) from the flooring.
    I use the SSM on my tile, laminate and linolium flooring works really well! As for the grout, I don't think the SSM will be able to get rid of the tough built in dirt, it mway be able to loosen it for you to remove with a toothbrush and wet rag.
    I went to Lowe's to purchase the Shark Steam Cleaner from there, I think it was the steam fast. It was a canister type steam unit with an attachable floor cleaning tool. Long story short, I bought it, used it the same night and returned it the next day. If you want to clean floor surfaces the SSM is your answer! I was not happy at all with the steam cleaner from Lowe's, low power.

But! For all you ladies out there that want a Dyson Slim! I just got mine yesterday from my local Lowe's for 407.01 after tax! So far I really like the vaccum, I did however need to buy the $85 car accessory kit form Bestbuy for the pet hair on my chairs and sofa.

• lawless
    16 years ago

alicahaley & silverraven:
    Did you buy the Shark that is a canister on wheels? I hate to hear you had problems. That is the one my mom and my brother-in-law bought at Lowes and it worked great for them. My Mom's hardwood floors were hardly wet at all.

• goldieaz
    16 years ago

Hi All,
    Been reading the all the posts since yesterday morning, after seeing the H20 mop infomercial...I decided to go with the Shark... BUT I need immediate gratification and the mop was not available locally...so I too bought the canister model at Lowes, only $86. including tax! I love it! I had to double clean to get the build up off, surprising since I have been using vinegar water for the past year. I have a small home, all tile...the peel and stick industrial tile, 2 dogs, 2 cats (furballs) and one handicapped adult daughter to clean up after.
    I have steamed the floors and it did a great job, I need to order more pads...that is when the floors get wet...when you have been soaking the pad with steam!
    I like the larger capacity tank of the canister (1400 ml), I run out of steam before it does!
    I may still but the hand held mop for speed on the kitchen floor...maybe.
    The rooma dirt dog does great prep work, especially with the furballs.

Thank you all for the suggestions. Ree, they should put you on the payroll!
    Goldie

• lawless
    16 years ago

goldieaz:
    Glad you like the Shark from Lowes! If you can't find a place to order the extra pads you can try making your own. My mom made her some more pads by buying the micro fiber cloths at Sams, and sewed a couple of them together, folded in half, then sewed up the sides, and I believe she "pins" hers on, but you could put velcro on them like the original pad.

• goldieaz
    16 years ago

GREAT idea lawless! Thank you!

• reeree_natural
    16 years ago

errett
    can't wait to hear how you and hubby like it! keep me posted!

goldieaz
    Oh I am so happy you are loving your mop! Yes..I wish I were on pay roll..lol! I just love my mop.. I had the first shark mop a few years ago, when it went ka-put, I couldn't find another..so I bought an Eureka "homeworks" it was ok..but not my shark..finally, when shark made a new mop, I was thrilled..but I do still miss my first one, I liked it better, but this shark is great also. There's nothing better than having really clean floors in no time and great on wood because they don't get "wet" I have never had any damage to them, so it's a great feeling to know they are really clean with out the worry!

enjoy your new "toy"! Happy steaming
    Ree

• lyda0
    16 years ago

hope this post goes thru. just rec'd ssm and can't wait to use it. my question is for those that have a handheld steamer cleaner like shark euro pro or scunci, can i steam clean fiberglass showers, stove tops, and fabric furniture for dust mites, etc without using any caustic unnatural cleaners? anything i can't clean or disinfect with these steam cleaners? thanks for any guidance.

• goldieaz
    16 years ago

Hi lyda,
    I have steam cleaned the wall by the stove (ok, but will take off paint if you hold it in one spot to long), Microwave (but not directly into the vents inside), toaster oven (GREAT!) stovetop and under it, punched iron security door (nothing else even touched the dirt on it!) all with JUST WATER.

and of course the floors.

I will use it in my shower with fiberglass, and the seat in the car. The key seems to be not to hold the steam on one spot for too long...hmm, the mattresses....yanno you guys and going to get this whole house clean!

• errett
    16 years ago

Ree Just had to let you know The Shark arrived at our house today. However, Hubby is out doing charity work for a Yuletide Parade tonight. Golf tomorrow and Habitat for Humanity on Sat. He promises he will do the floors ASAP. I promised I would put it together while he is out tonight.

Also, Any of you who DID get the plastic ring for around the mope that do not want theirs, PLEASE let me know and I will make arrangements to take it off your hands. We only have two small carpets as the rest of floors are porcelain but I would love to be able to FRESHEN up these rugs.

Thanks

• sbcichocki
    16 years ago

Hey, sorry so long to reply, been busy!
    I actually think there was something wrong with my steam shark from Lowes. It was the one on wheels. Even when I just started out using the pad it would soak the floor, I mean leave puddles! I would have given another one a try, but this is the only one they had in the store. Oh well, maybe I will go to Sears and get the upright one!
    S

• errett
    16 years ago

Hey All

Just wanted to let you all know it took literally two minutes to put the Shark SM together. I can hardly keep my hands off but promised Hubby that he will be the first and (hopefully) the only one to use it. Wouldn't want him to be a Tom Sawyer or Huck Finn with me. I will let you all know as soon as we have used it.

Thanks, C.

• lonig
    16 years ago

hi, I am new posting here. I've been reading about these steam mops for awhile now and I think I have decided to get the Shark Euro Pro floor mop and the hand held Scunci. Now I am wondering where I can buy them besides on line? Also does anyone know if both are a continuous spray of steam or must you keep squeezing the trigger?

• suephx
    16 years ago

I am wondering whether I can use the Shark steam mop on our unglazed tile floor. I read from somewhere else that SSM shouldn't be used on unglazed tile. I did read the FAQ from Shark website but it didn't say anything about unglazed tile floor and their answer is not consistent. One answer said not on unwaxed floor and the other said unwaxed floor and something else. Who has experience with unglazed title floor? Please share your experience. Thanks!

• langworthyshel_aol_com
    13 years ago

I love my SSM. So much we bought our daughter one. She used it for the first time today and really loves hers. For those folks looking for extra pads, Home Depot sells them but they are pretty spendy there. I think around $25 dollars for 2.

• ketsgirl_ptd_net
    13 years ago

I hate my shark steam mop. I have ceramic tile in dining room & kitchen, hardwood in living room. I've used it about 5 times. Leaves ugly streaks all over my floors & 2 pads are def not enough--they are a mess & washing (even bleaching) does not get them clean! I've gone back to scrubbing on my hands & knees; however today I wanted to do a quick clean up today in front of my door & now the stupid thing won't steam? Talk about frustrating! Colossal waste of money....

• rlancz_aol_com
    13 years ago

I have a steam shark used it 4 times the steam does not come out when I pump the handle. I've seen ads on reconditioned steam sharks I wonder what the problems where.

• isp911dispatch_aol_com
    13 years ago

I have had my steam pocket mop for almost a year. It has started acting up. The steam will not come out. I pulled the mop head off and the steam came shooting out. Could it be clogged with something? I would hope they last longer than a year. Has anyone tried to clean it out with vinegar?

• mdallen462_charter_net
    13 years ago

Does anyone know if it will hurt your Shark Steam Mop to add Mr. Clean with Febreze. I just love Febreze and how it makes my house smell was thinking that this might add to the fresh clean smell.

• mysticalangelsbox_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

Hey, just got a steam mop from a yard sale. They said all the parts was there and not there. I just put it together today, but no instructions. Also no carpet glider. Do you have to wait awhile for the water to get hot? Does the water come out as you mop? Please help!