Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please help! Cleaning silverplate.

Posted by andreaintx (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 16, 08 at 11:15

We had a brunch on Monday after my daughter's naming and I put coffee in my brand new Silver Coffee Urn. The coffee was in it from 10am-3pm I dumped it out and cleaned it and it smelled horrible. I let it air out on until Tuesday evening and it still smelled. I then put baking soda in the bottom of the urn and just cleaned it out but it still smells. How do I get the smell out without ruining the urn? It is a silverplate, Elegance Silver 25 cup coffee urn. Thank you in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please help! Cleaning silverplate.

You might try a citric-acid based product, like Glisten or even Tang. Or perhaps a mixture of white vinegar and water, and let it sit over night.

But I don't think that a coffee urn that smells like coffee is all that odd.

o

No acid or strongly alkaline products in silverplate, please!
Wipe it with a cloth with a bit of dish soap like Palmolive....rinse very well....wipe dry....and leave the lid off and the spout open for several days.
What does it smell like? Stale coffee, or that awful metallic smell?
Linda C.....who just cleaned her 2 silver plated coffee pots and they are still sitting with the lids off.

o

Hi,

I have the same Coffee Urn and never had a problem. I am sorry to say that I have left it for two days after a party and had never experienced this problem. I just scrub it out with baking soda on a damp cloth and just pour boiling water though it and have the spigot, open over the sink. I would try the regular, old fashion tooth paste if this does not work. I have used this on the outside if I have run out of silver polish at the last minute. If tooth paste will remove Garlic from our mouths, it should be able to killl the smell.

Good luck!

o

I'm curious, too, as to what it smells like; it shouldn't have any smell. Since it was new, did you wash it thoroughly before you put coffee in it? Maybe there was some type of manufacturing residue. Did the coffee taste okay?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here