Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
haras_gw

Home made cleaners

haras
16 years ago

any ideas on making home made cleaners. I love cleaning with vinigar but family hates the smell

Comments (9)

• jannie
    16 years ago

My favorite cleaner for windows and mirrors is one part ammonia to three parts water in a spray bottle. For best results, wipe with white tissue paper. Don't use sudsy ammonia, just the clear straight kind works wonderfully.

• carole6
    16 years ago

I use vinegar, too. mixed with baking soda, its far less toxic than commercial cleaners. Let the family complain--look how much money you're saving, and helping the environment, too! I'm looking for a good cleaner for my stainless coffee maker. The kind in which you perk & store the coffee in.Vinegar/soda doesn't work that well here,so I'm hoping someone has an idea that does.In meantime,Haras, I'll keep looking for solutions for you. Have a nice day!

• haras
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks carole6

• ebear1271
    16 years ago

I use a 50/50 mix of white vinegar and water for general cleaning. If the smell is a problem, try putting some essential oil in the container.
    I also use vinegar to clean my wood and leather furniture. I just mix 3 parts vinegar to 1 part jojoba oil and put in a spray bottle. I definitely use essential oil in this mix because the vinegar smell is so strong.

• reeree_natural
    16 years ago

haras
    I found this on the web...( click link at bottom of page) I also have a really good list, but can't find where I "stored" it on my computer..have to keep looking for it.. this will give you some good home made cleaning recipes .... hope it helps!
    Ree

Here is a link that might be useful: home made cleaners

• monicakm_gw
    16 years ago

I've been using a 50/50 mix of alcohol and water since getting granite counters in the kitchen 5 years ago. Along with a microfiber cloth, nothing does a better job on granite. I use it on a lot of kitchen surfaces.
    Monica

• junkyardgirl
    16 years ago

For windows and countertops, I use equal parts alcohol, sudsy ammonia, and water. The ammonia does the cleaning, and the alcohol makes it dry fast, so no streaks.

For my ceramic stove top, I spread baking soda on, then spray vinegar. The chemical reaction gets all those brown stains off.

For oven cleaner, turn it on to 275, put a pan of ammonia in it, and turn it off overnight. It will clean like a breeze in the morning. Be careful when you open it, because the fumes will get you!

For grease removal, I boil citrus peels in water, add about 1/4 vinegar, and spray on. Works as well as those citrus cleaners.

• sowngrow (8a)
    16 years ago

To clean your microwave put a cup of water in it, in a microwave safe glass. Heat til boiling and then let it sit 5-10 minutes with the door shut. Foods that were stuck on, can be wiped out with a damp cloth.

• mustangs81
    16 years ago

Commercial cleaners are often more unpleasant than vinegar. At least when I smell vinegar I think of a refreshing salad.

Here is my granite cleaner recipe:

Â 1 pint alcohol
    Â 1 tablespoon dish washing soap
    Â 1 tablespoon ammonia
    Â 1 tablespoon white vinegar

This is to refill for the Swiffer Mop:

Swiffer Refill-33 ounces
    Â 2 tablespoons of ammonia
    Â 1/2 cup of rubbing alcohol
    Â 1/2 teaspoon of dish soap
    Â 28 ounces water

Sponsored