Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to clean/disinfect vacuum cleaner?

Posted by tessaduncan (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 7, 09 at 10:47

I loaned my sister my Dyson and she used it to vacuum her carpet BEFORE she steam-cleaned it. Why was she steam-cleaning? Because her dog had peed & pooped on it! UGH.
I can't use it now unless I can really disinfect it. I can wash the filter but what about the brushes and the container (it's bagless). Lysol everything? Wipe it all down with alcohol? Suggestions please.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to clean/disinfect vacuum cleaner?

I have washed my Dyson's container after removing the inside part. As for the other parts, this might be something you want to contact Dyson about.

As icky as this sounds, walking down the street and then walking into your house causes you to bring all manner of stuff into the house, which then gets vacuumed.

o
RE: How to clean/disinfect vacuum cleaner?

Sodium carbonate is the main ingredient of hand sanitizers. It is also the main ingredient of washing soda.

Toss the old bag and put in a new one. Throw a handful of washing soda on a noncarpeted smooth floor and vaccuum it up. I say noncarpeted because it may be hard to get out of a carpet.

The the soda will go all the same places your sisters dirt went.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here