Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Have you heard this one? Quit washing your jeans.

Posted by albert_135 (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 12, 10 at 10:26

Quit washing your jeans

BTW, this link is to a news story. I've no idea how long it will be good, years perhaps or then perhaps just hours.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Have you heard this one? Quit washing your jeans.

Assuming there are no stains, spills, dirt, body fluids/sweat, and that they have been on a clean body, jeans should be washed every 3rd or 4th wear. The fabric starts to degrade making the jeans look 'old' when not washed *properly*. Washing isn't the main problem, it is using cycles and detergents that are too harsh. Jeans should be turned inside-out and I prefer permanent press, warm water, cold rinse, and a lower spin cycle. Also, I think hang-drying works best, or drying on the delicate cycle and removing when still slightly damp. Would like to know anyone else's thoughts, best practices, etc. I spend about $200 each on jeans so I want to take care of them, but I'm not about to go 6 months without washing them!

o

The whole purpose of that article is to push a ridiculous eco agenda. I'm about as eco-minded as the next guy, but like with anything, there are those who push the idea to the extreme. This is a perfect example. Ludicrous.

o

When I was in college, I wore one pair of jeans every day for a semester. Yes, they smelled. But I loved them. Now I'll wear a pair of pants a couple of times and was them. I do at least one load of lundry daily. I change sheets every week. To each his/her own.

o

I'd think jeans would smell pretty "gamey" after 6 months...HAHAHA! I don't do anything strenuous in my jeans and after a few wearing, they need washing!

o

I've worn jeans for a long time before washing them. They don't get too dirty or smelly because, well, that's what undies are for, and the rest of my leg skin doesn't produce much sweat or oil.

When I do wash "fashion" jeans, I treat them like a super-delicate item because of the dyes and fabric finishes. It's ironic because the underlying denim twill-weave cotton is about as sturdy as you could get. Some of the fashion denim recommends dry cleaning only, to maintain the fabric dye and finish! No way! I turn them inside out, use cold water and a mild detergent with a color preserver and no optical brightener, like Woolite Dark.

o

Find a vinegar company's web site and there should be a recipe of vinegar and salt that you soak new jeans in to set the dye. This has been common around here since the 70's that I know of. It's been a "helpful Hint" in many mag. articles.

My Uncle still takes his "dress jeans" to the dry cleaners most the time, but he has more money then I do.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here