Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I need a shortcut, or suggestions

Posted by terrets (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 19, 08 at 9:50

I have clear glass shelves (entertaint center tower) that holds my stereo ,cd player,etc. as well as a matching piece that holds my tv and dvr equip. Every day it looks dusty, even right after I dust! I am thinking about covering them maybe, so it hides it better. Should I go with fabric or a frosted window covering? Does anyone have suggestions? Thank you in advance
Teri

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I need a shortcut, or suggestions

The problem is all thpose components create static electricitu that attracts dust. Get an "ion shooter"...it's a sort of a gun thing that emits negative ions and keeps the static neutralized.
I am remembering very well when my son broke a beanbag chair....and those bean things just jumped up on the glass stereo cabinet....and when you shot them with the ion gun they fell off.Linda C

o

Never heard of such a thing, but apparently it is called an antistatic gun. I don't think that's the answer to regular cleaning, but you learn something new every day.

Anyhow, back to your question. This is why I buy closed shelving units for audio and video devices. I doubt that you can retrofit coverings on an entertainment tower, but make sure that whatever you use allows the remotes to send the signal through - frosted glass or fabric won't.

For dusting them, I would try the brush attachment on the vacuum cleaner or a lightly moistened microfiber cloth.

Here is a link that might be useful: antistatic gun

o

I have a glass top coffee table. About once a month, I wasah it with Windex. In between, I dust with used dryer sheets. Don't know why, but they pick up every bit of dust.

o

Thanks guys. It is 5 and 1/2 feet tall with 6 shelves. The glass isnt surrounded by anything so it shows EVERYTHING. Its frustrating. I clean it with swiffers and cleaners and it still shows too much for me. I dont think there would be a problem with reception, since it isnt really surrounding the equipment. I will dwfinatly check out the gun, and I may end up picking a frosted type liner or something. No matter what, It looks dusty and it drives me crazy! Thanks again!

o

Hi,

I use "Endust" for Electronics. I use a "Micro-Fiber" towel dammpened and dry with a "Flour Sack " dish towel. This works very well for me. It's Anti-Static and the dust does not seem to build up as soon. It's great!

o

I think that if you use a frosted type liner, it just might look like its completely covered with dust! You might try looking at the patterned window films they sell (either Google it or look on eBay).

o

Very true! I bet you are right about that pammyfay! Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here