Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jlknovi

Help! Lime Away hurt my sink!

jlknovi
16 years ago

Hi all,

I had a new cleaning lady work in my cottage last week and she used Lime Away on an old periwinkle blue sink while trying to get a hard water stain out of it. The entire sink now looks like it has a white cloudy film on it. She said once she realized what was happening, she tried to rinse it off really quickly, but it was too late. Does anyone have any ideas/advice on how to get my sink looking like it did before? She said something about Gel Gloss, but I have never heard of it and am scared to try anything else. Thanks!

Comments (17)

• sheesh
    16 years ago

Do you know what is the sink made of? I use Lime Away and CLR all the time on the hard water stains on my faux marble sinks and my porcelain sinks and they shine like new. I've never seen the cloudy film you describe. I use Gel Gloss on the faux marble once in a blue moon as a protectant and it does a good job, after you rub off the cloudy film it causes. It should help your sink, not hurt it. Good luck.

Sherry

• cearab
    16 years ago

I have used Lime Away on sinks, tubs without any problem at all. You might want to try a product called Jubilee Kitchen Wax. It comes in a bottle. It's a thick white liquid wax kind of thing. You wipe it on all over the surface, then let it dry, and buff it off. I find it at Ace Hardware. BTW: Ace has a good selection of various cleaning products that can be hard to find elsewhere.

• victorian227
    16 years ago

I used Lime Away on my stainless steel sink and it ruined it. It left the same cloudy residue behind. Also, my daughter used it on an old porcelain sink and it totally ruined the sink!

• jlknovi
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi! Thanks for the suggestions...keep them coming! No, I don't know what the sink is made of, it's an old, vintage one, I am assuming porcelain or cast iron? I will definitely try Gel Gloss and/or that Jubilee Kitchen Wax. I have also put a call into a place that refinishes old sinks, tubs, etc...I am waiting to hear back from them on advice as well. Will keep you informed!

• victorian227
    16 years ago

cearab:

Thanks for the tip on finding old time products. I used to love Julilee Kitchen wax, I didn't think they made it any more. I am off to Ace Hardware at lunch time. Thanks again.

• bud_wi
    16 years ago

Victorian227, What did Lime-A-Way do to a procelain sink? I am asking because I have another thread here trying to find out what ruined my porcelain sink.

• jlknovi
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi all,

I spoke with the refinishing place, they said lime away causes permanent damage because it takes the finish away...yikes! They said they can re-finish the sink to whatever color I choose, but it will cost a pretty penny! I am going to try the Gel Gloss first, which they have at ACE Hardware. I called two ACE's, nobody seems to have the Jubilee wax, did anyone find it at their local ACE? Thanks, and will keep you updated on whether or not the Gel Gloss works!

• victorian227
    16 years ago

bud wi

It actually took the finish off and the sink turned black and gray in some areas. It was an old sink but I was surprised at what it did. I have heard that Lime Away can damage certain surfaces. It sure made a mess of my stainless sink. Thankfully I am just about ready to remodel and won't have to look at it much longer.

• bud_wi
    16 years ago

Thanks for the update Victorian227. I am guessing that something (Lime-A-Way?) ate the shiney finish off my porcelain sink and subsequently it got stained by something else (Hair dye? Mouthwash?). The stain is in a sort of ring, and if you look real close it is pitted. Well at least I learned to never use Lime-A-Way ever again if I get a new sink.

• jlknovi
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi all,

I have a very happy update!!! I was going to go to the ACE store where my cottage is located to purchase the Gel Gloss, but I was talking to my cleaning lady first (the one who accidentally damaged the sink with Lime Away) and she mentioned that my stainless cleaner (Signature, which Subzero recommends) had a bunch of other things that the cleaner can be used on, such as vinyl, laminate, porcelain and ceramic surfaces, wood, etc...) and she said, why don't you try using that Signature Cleaner on the sink before you go out and buy the Gel Gloss..so, I put it on a microfiber rag and by golly, the sink CAME BACK TO LIFE, and BETTER than it was before! What a miracle! I couldn't believe it! The Signature cleaner put some type of finish on it that literally made the white, cloudy areas disappear, and the sink now looks better than it even looked before anything was put on it to begin with! I have been really happy with this Signature cleaner for my stainless appliances, and now I am even happier that it has worked miracles on this blue sink! You all might want to try it...it isn't in stores, it has to be ordered via telephone and I don't have the number but you can look it up (google) under Signature polish and if you can't find it, let me know, I can get the phone number off of the product for you...they are located in Dayton, OH. Hooray!!

• victorian227
    16 years ago

jlknovi, thanks for sharing I think I have a sample of that, it came with my new stove top. I will try it on the sink.

• covertcleaning_yahoo_com
    15 years ago

yes it does damage older sinks. always test a spot. You must monitor it. Kaboom is good, not so strong.

You may have to resurface the sink like they suggested earlier.

If you want gel gloss go to a Tru Value Store and they can probably order it for you. www.mrsclean.com

Here is a link that might be useful: MrsClean.com

• sheilajoyce_gw
    15 years ago

A recoated or resurfaced sink or tub is not as sturdy a finish as the factory finish.

• cornwada
    9 years ago

I had the same thing happen to be but in an Onyx shower. I just used Weiman Stainless Steel Wipes and it seems that it has worked. The area is not completely dry yet but the clouding is all gone! I can't believe it! Thank you so much!

• bheine22
    8 years ago

I put Limeaway on my SS sink and let it sit for a few hours. Came back and had horrible dark stains. I used Barkeepers Friend cleanser and it came right off. Amazing! Thought I'd share this because someone else gave this great advice online! Don't worry! I only had to apply it twice and scrub with a sponge.

• daviddominguez
    last year

Colonel Brassy . Even dripped Lineaway on apron of farm sink. Had some really bad dark spots from trying to dull a galvanized tray. Sink looks incredible after using Colonel Brassy and blue Scotch pad. Did entire sink and apron in about 15 min.. wish i had taken before and after

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!