Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! Lime Away hurt my sink!

Posted by jlknovi (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 8, 07 at 9:24

Hi all,

I had a new cleaning lady work in my cottage last week and she used Lime Away on an old periwinkle blue sink while trying to get a hard water stain out of it. The entire sink now looks like it has a white cloudy film on it. She said once she realized what was happening, she tried to rinse it off really quickly, but it was too late. Does anyone have any ideas/advice on how to get my sink looking like it did before? She said something about Gel Gloss, but I have never heard of it and am scared to try anything else. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! Lime Away hurt my sink!

Do you know what is the sink made of? I use Lime Away and CLR all the time on the hard water stains on my faux marble sinks and my porcelain sinks and they shine like new. I've never seen the cloudy film you describe. I use Gel Gloss on the faux marble once in a blue moon as a protectant and it does a good job, after you rub off the cloudy film it causes. It should help your sink, not hurt it. Good luck.

Sherry

o

I have used Lime Away on sinks, tubs without any problem at all. You might want to try a product called Jubilee Kitchen Wax. It comes in a bottle. It's a thick white liquid wax kind of thing. You wipe it on all over the surface, then let it dry, and buff it off. I find it at Ace Hardware. BTW: Ace has a good selection of various cleaning products that can be hard to find elsewhere.

o

I used Lime Away on my stainless steel sink and it ruined it. It left the same cloudy residue behind. Also, my daughter used it on an old porcelain sink and it totally ruined the sink!

o

Hi! Thanks for the suggestions...keep them coming! No, I don't know what the sink is made of, it's an old, vintage one, I am assuming porcelain or cast iron? I will definitely try Gel Gloss and/or that Jubilee Kitchen Wax. I have also put a call into a place that refinishes old sinks, tubs, etc...I am waiting to hear back from them on advice as well. Will keep you informed!

o

cearab:

Thanks for the tip on finding old time products. I used to love Julilee Kitchen wax, I didn't think they made it any more. I am off to Ace Hardware at lunch time. Thanks again.

o

Victorian227, What did Lime-A-Way do to a procelain sink? I am asking because I have another thread here trying to find out what ruined my porcelain sink.

o

Hi all,

I spoke with the refinishing place, they said lime away causes permanent damage because it takes the finish away...yikes! They said they can re-finish the sink to whatever color I choose, but it will cost a pretty penny! I am going to try the Gel Gloss first, which they have at ACE Hardware. I called two ACE's, nobody seems to have the Jubilee wax, did anyone find it at their local ACE? Thanks, and will keep you updated on whether or not the Gel Gloss works!

o

bud wi

It actually took the finish off and the sink turned black and gray in some areas. It was an old sink but I was surprised at what it did. I have heard that Lime Away can damage certain surfaces. It sure made a mess of my stainless sink. Thankfully I am just about ready to remodel and won't have to look at it much longer.

o

I bought the Jubilee at my local Ace in NJ. One container was a spray, another was a screw top liquid. After looking for this item on the internet, it appears that they only make the spray now. The last time I purchased it at my local Ace was at least a year ago, or longer. Maybe they no longer carry it at Ace; if I get a chance, I will go over this weekend and post back if they have it.
Here is a site where you can purchase on the internet. You need to purchase 2 cans, however. If you googleJubilee wax, you will find some online sources to purchase the product if you cannot find it in your local stores:
http://www.uclean.com/catalog/productInfo/chemicals/polishes/jubilee_kitchen_wax_cleaner.html

o

Thanks for the update Victorian227. I am guessing that something (Lime-A-Way?) ate the shiney finish off my porcelain sink and subsequently it got stained by something else (Hair dye? Mouthwash?). The stain is in a sort of ring, and if you look real close it is pitted. Well at least I learned to never use Lime-A-Way ever again if I get a new sink.

o

Hi all,

I have a very happy update!!! I was going to go to the ACE store where my cottage is located to purchase the Gel Gloss, but I was talking to my cleaning lady first (the one who accidentally damaged the sink with Lime Away) and she mentioned that my stainless cleaner (Signature, which Subzero recommends) had a bunch of other things that the cleaner can be used on, such as vinyl, laminate, porcelain and ceramic surfaces, wood, etc...) and she said, why don't you try using that Signature Cleaner on the sink before you go out and buy the Gel Gloss..so, I put it on a microfiber rag and by golly, the sink CAME BACK TO LIFE, and BETTER than it was before! What a miracle! I couldn't believe it! The Signature cleaner put some type of finish on it that literally made the white, cloudy areas disappear, and the sink now looks better than it even looked before anything was put on it to begin with! I have been really happy with this Signature cleaner for my stainless appliances, and now I am even happier that it has worked miracles on this blue sink! You all might want to try it...it isn't in stores, it has to be ordered via telephone and I don't have the number but you can look it up (google) under Signature polish and if you can't find it, let me know, I can get the phone number off of the product for you...they are located in Dayton, OH. Hooray!!

o

jlknovi, thanks for sharing I think I have a sample of that, it came with my new stove top. I will try it on the sink.

o

yes it does damage older sinks. always test a spot. You must monitor it. Kaboom is good, not so strong.

You may have to resurface the sink like they suggested earlier.

If you want gel gloss go to a Tru Value Store and they can probably order it for you. www.mrsclean.com

Here is a link that might be useful: MrsClean.com

o

A recoated or resurfaced sink or tub is not as sturdy a finish as the factory finish.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here