Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to clean down pilows?

Posted by scarlett2001 (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 11, 10 at 4:07

I am really tempted to throw them in the washer and dryer but I don't want it to look like I klled a chicken in there.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to clean down pilows?

You can wash them with care. The link below shows how

Here is a link that might be useful: care for down pillows and comforters

o

It's absolutely OK to home launder your down pillow, but it requires some attention. True, it's a good idea to protect it as best as possible so it doesn't need to be washed that often. I'd suggest the gentle/delicate cycle (not knowing the quality). Importantly, dry it on a low temp and stop and fluff it a few times to remove clumps (some use dryer or tennis balls. Ensure it's completely dry before putting it inside the pillow protector and case.

o

I have heard that you want to use a laundry soap, not detergent to wash down so you don't remove the natural oils in down. I suggest that you buy a bar of Ivory soap and grate it into a powder with a box grater. Use only about 2 or 3 Tbs. Then you need to be sure not to let it foam too much if you have a front loader. The tinyest smear of any silicone grease on one of the pillows will do that. Wash with as much warm water as you can get your machine to use and wash long enough to get the pillow clean but not tear the stitches on the ticking. I have done this with success in my front loader.

o

nerdyshopper:
Down does not have any oils natural or otherwise. Feathers do because they were oiled from a gland near the birds tail.

If you have a down and feather pillow your advice may apply but pure down pillows will have no oils.

One reason you wash them is to remove the oils deposited from your head.

o

oilpainter, I don't really trust your info on down. I have read that it does have natural oil that keeps it strong. When you wash that out it becomes lifeless and tends to clump up according to what I have read. An outdoorsman gave me the tip to use a mild soap instead of detergent. Probably before your day you could buy a product called Ivory Snow that was made for washing dishes and useful for this. Also the competing brand was Lux soap. Neither is available any more alas.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here