Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Burned teflon pot

Posted by marie26 (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 4, 07 at 0:40

I burned my favorite large teflon pot. I tried soaking a fabric softener sheet in it but that didn't work. Perhaps it's because of the teflon. Scrubbing and soaking hasn't helped either.

Does anyone know how I can get this clean?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Burned teflon pot

Try soaking with a tablespoon of dishwasher detergent and hot water. I let mine soak overnight. Everything usually wipes clean. You may need to reseason the pan!

o

It may be ruined if you burned the teflon and not just the food.

Telfon doesn't require seasoning...(?)

o

I was just going to say teflon doesn't need to be seasoned. Maybe your thinking of cast iron?

I burned a teflon pan once & had to pitch it..it was wrecked. Also teflon gives off a gas if it is sitting on a hot burner and smoking. If you can't get it clean by soaking and using a teflon scrubber on it you probably should just toss it.

o

I don't have any teflon pans so I didn't know that they didn't need to be seasoned :) My pans do if they go in the dishwasher. I don't even know what mine are-- were a wedding gift 25 years ago. I think I am actually entitled to a new set after using these so long but hard to justify since these are still fine!

o

I think you should throw it away.

o

Try sprinkling baking soda on it and then spray with white vinegar and let it soak. If the baking soda hardens, just spray with vinegar again. This is how I clean my oven, it should work on the pan.

o

The question is whether teflon is safe once it has been burnt. The research appears to say no, due to the toxic offgassing of teflon. The EPA has ordered Teflon (and other companies that make similar products) to decrease the toxic substances within four years. For now, it looks like the only safe bet it to get rid of the pot. I'm disappointed too, because I just burnt a new teflon pot.

o

Someone suggested throwing it away. What metal is it? At our local recyclers aluminum pans are purchased at a higher rate than are aluminum cans.

o

I had a teflon saucepan that got burned inside but I continued using it. Until one day I decided to make a lemon meringue pie. I was boiling the lemon pudding filling in the teflon pot. As I stirred, I notied black flecks in the mixture. Burned teflon crud! I tossed it out. I felt so bad, feeding my family foods I'd prepared in that pot burned teflon bits!

o

Me too. I also burned the Teflon pot. I just soak it warm water with diswashing liquid. Leave for whole night and you will see the stains at the surface.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here