Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
harry_wild

Need To Get A Vapor Steam Cleaner!

harry_wild
15 years ago

Hi,

I like to have suggestions on a steam cleaner to use for the stove, oven, bathroom and car. I been looking at the canister types such as the Steamfast 275, VaporStorm, Wagner 905. etc... I would like to buy a handheld(shape like a water pitcher) but I heard they are useless - they don't heat up hot enough and the steam is not pressurized so it does not shoot out but just flow out.

I like to spend around $150.

Please offer suggustions and why you like the steam cleaner.

Thanks.

Comments (7)

• graywings123
    15 years ago

I have a TR5 from Vapor Clean which I am pretty happy with, but it costs a lot more than $150. The entry level for the better grade of vapor cleaners seems to be about $350. You can sometimes find a used one on E-bay. And sometimes Vapor Clean and its competitors will sell demo models.

To me, a cannister version makes more sense than the handheld because of the weight.

In comparing units, I would look at the temperature the water is heated to. If you can't get that information, I wouldn't buy the unit.

• Phobie Privett
    15 years ago

I have a steam cleaner canister from Shark that I got from Lowe's for $99. I REALLY like it. The steam lasts for a least an hour before needing refilling and I think it does a great job on the floors, corners, etc. It has several attachments for mirrors, grout, etc.

I will say that it only comes with one microfiber pad (I need at least 3 to do the whole house) so you have to order from the company and it takes FOREVER. Also, if you do get one from Lowe's, I recommend getting the extended warranty ($15). I had one for about 6 months and it pooped out on me, returned it to Lowe's and got another, no problem. I'm not sure how great these things are made, but I can't complain for the price. I have a ton of tile and it takes me about 30-45 minutes to mop it all.

Until I can muster up the $500 or so that it takes to get a good one, this one will do!

• cj47
    15 years ago

I have a shark cannister as well. I have only used it a couple of times, but it seems powerful enough for my purposes. I've cleaned some greasy smoke residue off a house, a very old and disgusting toilet, and blasted paint drips off cement. So far, so good. Mine was $99 at Lowes as well.

• harry_wild
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for your replies.

I went to Walgreens and purchase a handheld Perfection Steam Cleaner for $30.00. It works and does a nice job. However, I would like hotter steam. I have hear bad things about Shark steam machines; but will try one out if it is sold in the stores.

Did you buy the Shark at the Lowes store or did you order it online?

Thanks.

• Phobie Privett
    15 years ago

Harry_wild-they are in-store. I wouldn't order one from the company (Shark), they are known for terrible customer service! Might take a lifetime to get it from them! :)

• Donna-37
    15 years ago

I got my Shark buggy from Sears. I don't know if they still carry them but it might be worth a shot ;0)

• doc_dot
    15 years ago

Steamboy "Reliable" is now "on sale" for $99 + includes extra covers.

Has anyone had experience with this (for more that a month?)

I found reviews from a year ago that said it was hard to maneuver, hard to put on new covers.

Everbody says the electric cord is too short. Any reason not to use an appropriate extension cord?

I need something easy to use. Grandchildren will attest to the fact that I'm "older than dirt", and arthritis is a problem.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler