Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shoos_gw

Jacuzzi bathtub MAJOR issues

Shoos
12 years ago

I guess I'll start from the beginning with all the details. I'm really hoping someone in these forums can help me :-) I have a Jacuzzi brand jetted tub in my bathroom. When we moved in our house had just been built and there was construction dust everywhere, we cleaned everything but it took almost a year before we stopped seeing the dust in the filters in the vents.

My husband has a bad back and uses the tub almost daily. After about 3 weeks of use, we started to see this orange-y film around the water line of the tub. I've seen other forums that took about black flakes coming out of the jets, but that is not what this was at all. I cleaned it using a bathroom cleaner with bleach and it went away, but with the next bath it was back. So we did some reading and did a full bath of bleach and cascade and let it run for a bit, then emptied, refilled to rinse and ran it again. It remained clean for another couple of weeks and then the orange stuff was back.....we do occasionally use bath bombs in the tub and soap both of which jacuzzi said was ok to use.

So the stain came back for the umpteenth time, and we decided to open up the filter when we opened it up it was covered in this orange stuff!! It was gross! I actually took pictures to post, but don't see the option. I clean the tub regularly, and we just cannot figure out what this stuff is, but I would LOVE to get rid of it for good.

Any help would be incredibly appreciated :-) thanks in advance!

Comments (8)

• jannie
    12 years ago

I can't tell you how to get rid of the stuff, but orange in a bathtub is a very bad mold. It is the same mold you sometimes find in potatoes in the ground. I think it's called something like "Stacchibotytritus"(not sure of spelling). It is actually dangerous to humans. Hope someone else will tell you how to get rid it it. Wishing you good luck!

• graywings123
    12 years ago

If you want to post a photo, you must first host it on a site like photobucket.com and then link to it here.

• dees_1
    12 years ago

You don't mention how you get your water but sometimes if you have a water softener, you can get orange "rust" deposits. I know I used to have that when I had well water (higher iron content) and a water softener. I'd get your water tested first and then check into whether or not it's a mold, as jannie indicates.

• Shoos
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thamks all! I will try to post a picture....but now I'm nervous! If someone could please tell me how to get rid of it, thhat would be great. My water is city water, and i don't have a water softener....i've had the water tested and the ph is a touch high, but nothing dangerous.....

• RRM1
    12 years ago

1. Orange deposits are generally from high iron concentrations in your water, CLR or scouring will get rid of them fairly easily. TO mitigate, try an ion exchange (water softener is one example) unit for the whole house.
    2. Orange mold is more rare, but a basic cleaner, like Tilex, will generally remove it.
    3. Orange deposits are sometimes caused by makeup residue.

• kmacpro
    12 years ago

It definitely sounds like mold. We have the same problem in our shower. I use a 50/50 mixture of bleach and water to clean it. Unfortunately, without regular bleach cleanings, the mold will begin to grow again. You will need to continue to run your "bleach baths" every so often to keep the mold at bay. As for the filter, if you can remove it from your tub, I would soak it in a 50/50 mixture of bleach and water. If not, fill the filter area with the mixture and let is soak for 15 minutes before you run your bleach bath. Mold sucks, but with proper maintenance, it can be controlled. Good luck!

• beankrom
    12 years ago

I just moved into a house that has the same issue with a 10 year old Jacuzzi brand jetted tub. I had another jetted tub (not jacuzzi) and it did not have this issue. The orange stuff is called Pseudomonas aeruginosa (my wife is a micro-biologist) about once very two weeks when you are finished with a bath pour a 1/2 cup of bleach into the tub and run the jets for about 10 minutes no more Pseudomonas aeruginosa. Best to not do the bleach treatment while soaking for obvious reasons.

• Cosmos
    6 years ago

We have the same problem. We had the city come out to check the water and it was fine. Our jets do not work too. Is this also Pseudomonas aeruginosa? Is it dangerous? Here are some pictures, it's actually orange rust color but you can't tell in the photo.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio