Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
southboundtrain

Cleaning oven door between glass

southboundtrain
19 years ago

Help, please. I have a standard GE oven and somehow dark streaks of something have gotten inside the oven door, it looks like it's sort of between glass panels. Nothing in the oven directions speak to this. Has anyone else had this problem? It looks like I can unbolt the inside glass panel but I'm concerned about the insulation looking strip. Any advice would be most welcome. Oh, the self cleaning cycle has no affect. Thanks.

Comments (92)

• pondlily
    12 years ago

Wow!!! This should get a permanent spot somewhere! It works and it's easy. I thought there was no solution for my yucky glass oven windows.

• Jlau93_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

The bomb idea did work, but in my newer GE oven, there are two screws in the top of the door that are star shaped and if you have the right screwdriver bit, you can open them and pop the door apart without taking it off the hinges or opening the insulation part, clean between the window, and then retighten the screws. do not open any other screws. This was quick and simple.

• tgjohnson_cebridge_net
    12 years ago

I have a Frigidaire oven which is 2 years old that had this same problem. I removed two screws on each side and took off the trim and cleaned from the side; real easy.

• enduring
    12 years ago

This is an old thread. I wonder if those early posters got their doors cleaned yet.

I have an Elite Sears SS stove that is about 9 years old. Several years ago I took the door apart and cleaned my 2 glass panels on each side. It was easy to do. It was a little springy getting it back together. I told my DIL about this and she decided to do it with hers. She had a lot of trouble because, one, she was 8 months pregnant, two, 5' tall (door about as big as she is, even pregnant), and three, the temp outside was over 100 degrees (no air, lives in Seattle). While I had a very easy time doing this job, she thought it "really sucked" doing this job (same door configuration).

• mtsacry_gmail_com
    12 years ago

Wow! Thank you all for the great tips. I just got mine cleaned. I couldn't get anything to reach well through the slots, so I took off the 4 screws on the bottom and it came right off. Cleaned it and put it back on very easy!

• maimie
    12 years ago

The suggestion that katbrauer gave in 2006 may be old, but it works! If there is a "Cleaning Tips Forum Hall of Fame," he/she should be in it! I will only add, that I have used my steam cleaner to push to steam up & then then used whatever is skinny & long to wipe to glass clean. He remains THE BOMB as far as I'm concerned. Best cleaning tip ever!!!!

• melodrama5_aol_com
    12 years ago

I know this forum is old, but I came on here today looking for adivce, and wanted to share my experience and solution.

I was given a Maytag Gemini double oven by some very generous friends who were gutting their kitchen. As sweet as the donation was, it was FILTHY! I have gone through 2 bottles of easy off (and 3 pairs of gloves, two face masks...).

As much as I loved having windows in my "new" oven - it didn't matter. I could not see a thing through them. With the Maytag Gemini (about 5 years old), I was able to unscrew the metal frame on the outside - which I realized was not attached to any sort of insulation, and I had much easier access to the three panels of glass - and noticed the metal bracket holding the glass was also not supporting any insulation. I took off one metal bracket and was able to clean each panel of glass completely. Huzzah! I can see inside!!

• ernie_callie_mail_com
    12 years ago

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU for the husband who suggested the towel in the holes! Worked like a charm and only took 10 minutes and no unscreqwing of the door! I am n debt to you!

• calderman_98_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

Many thanks to The BOMB!! I was ready to buy a new oven -- a sock, a coat hanger, some duct tape and ammonia and 5 minutes later it's spotless! What other tips do you have :-)?

• aburkezz1_gmail_com
    12 years ago

In the process now of cleaning between glass...it really isn't that bad...unsrew/take out some screws...pull apart some scrap metal and voila..got it apart..cleaned with some oven cleaner and in process of putting back together..not much longer (don't think, so far got an hour invested) and I'll have an oven with clean glass..no streaks no dust..which the dust was the worst..since in live in dusty Modesto, Ca..anyways...its lookin good...WORTH IT TO ME..no more embarrasing moments with guests...that's all folks^

• hkurto_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

To the woman whose husband is the bomb, she is right! it worked. I used a coat hanger an old long fleece sock and a coat hanger. I went up through the hole and it is clean. thanks!

• edenzgarden
    12 years ago

I have Kenmore Model 790.9621 5-burner electric range. I have 3 glass oven panes regrettfully. I think self-cleaning ovens may be the most difficult. I think taking apart the the door depends on your model and etc. I just don't won't deal with that issue. But I tried the Katbauer/Bomb method is really the safest. I tweaked it by using a long narrow spiral lint brush for dryers. Make sure it's clean. I used thin long kitchen towel and Mean Green. I soak the brush and towel with Mean Green, wrapped the towel around the brush avoiding bulk, and the glass was really clean. Even though the bottom slots are very wide on a Kenmore, you could only clean the 2 outer glass panes not the inner most pane. It was quick and easy and looks great. Thanks for you husband's suggestion Kat. Also I just found out that Maytag is now making ovens that allow for easy cleaning between the panes. So things are slowly improving.

• speciald53
    12 years ago

I decided to search on how to clean between the glass on my stove door and found this site. I can tell you that even more than 5 years later, the posing about using a cloth on a brush is the best. My glass was cleaned within a couple of minutes. I used the dryer vent brush with a small hand towel with very little soap and hot water. Her husband is the bomb!!!

• Honey Richardson
    12 years ago

Thanks to everyone & yes the dryer vent brush & a cotton tea towel with a little Windex sprayed on it did the trick! There are still a few streaks but MUCH better than the big drips that were there! I agree...katbrauer's husband is the BOMB!

• DBL19
    12 years ago

Yes, the "Bombs" idea does work, but I found it still left marks if it was there for a long time. It is easier to remove the glass on the front. Like Jon had stated if you look underneath where the vents are located there are screws that are easily removed, the front glass comes off and you can easily clean the oven door glass and the cosmetic outer glass. I have an 8 year old Frigidaire Gallery. 5 screws on the bottom.

• julescap
    12 years ago

I have a Maytag gemini,same problems with the glass,drove me crazy! I got my husband to take door apart. I cleaned it and he put it back together...not too hard,but time consuming. It does seem to get dirty quickly after all that work. can't wait to try the sock,coat hanger,dryer vent brush etc,etc solution. One question...what's the deal with the duct tape? I keep seeing it mentioned but can't find that original post.

• ucfargis1
    12 years ago

Kenmore oven glass cleaning for those who understand what this says.
    If you dont, either marry someone who does, or call Sear for a repairman. (My-B-I-L's wife understands this...not him.
    1) Have a helper
    2) tools Screwdriver with bits("2 Phillips and square drive Robertson ones as well. Use the square bit that fits very tightly and a a small old bath towel to lay on the counter
    3) Open door all the way
    4) Remove the 2 long screws holding the handle and vent to the door. They will drop so have friend hold the door sandwich together while you unscrew and hold the handle
    lay handle and vent aside
    5) Raise inside of the sandwich leaving outside part horizontal
    6) Switch bits to #2 Phillips
    7) Pull drawer out about 4"
    8) There are 2 sheet metal screws coming up from the bottom of the door. You can see the threads poking through the shiny steel on that holds the glass panels together. The heads are underneath accessible from where you pulled out the drawer. Dont take out the wrong screws(have partner make sure you are loosening the right ones.)
    9) Carefully remove the Phillips screws from the shiny frame
    The bottom ones should come out last. Partner grabs the glass panels and places on towel and remember which way they came out to go back in. It matters.

1. mix a wet paste of Baking soda and water and apply. Let set for 30 minutes, rinse and buff.
    2. install is reverse of disassembly.
  • Catalinda8
    11 years ago

We are attempting now to reassemble the oven door after cleaning out cobwebs and other assorted gunk. Who designed these stoves? Didn't anyone try them out and realize spiders and spills could get between the glass panes???? I am staggered at the stupidity of the design. I'll never buy a Maytag stove again. I'm worried that we've actually destroyed our stove, after putting up with the ugly mess for several years. Ugh!

• acesaroundagain
    11 years ago

I own a GE Profile countertop Model #J-D9688-K4BB that had streaks in the oven door. There are no access holes to use. The glass may be cleaned by taking the outside glass off the door. It is not difficult. First place something soft in front of the oven door (a workout mat works well). Remove two phillips screws from the small rail under the door which allows access to four #T10 Torque screws, remove them. Next open the door and remove four #T10 Torque screws from the side of the door (two on each side). Be careful the front glass will come right off (that's why we put something soft in front of the oven to begin). Place the front glass on a towel on the countertop and begin cleaning. I used a ceramic countertop cleaner for part of the cleaning. Assembly is the reverse of the aforementioned.

• mayfirst
    11 years ago

Thank you so much Katsbrauer's Bomb Husband! Using his method I cleaned inside the glass in less than 3 -THREE!! MINUTES!!! I happened to have a dryer vent brush which was plenty long enough. My range is a KitchenAid Superba Selectra Self Clean. There are indeed large vent holes under the door, right at the front where the glass is attached. I'm thrilled!

• Carpgal
    11 years ago

Amazing. I have a stove that is only 2 yrs old and have been annoyed by the spill on the inside glass of the door. Thank you for the cleaning tip of going through the vents at the bottom of the door. Truly ingenius and in less than 5 minutes the glass is clean and no need to take the door apart. I do have a question though. Can anyone suggest a really good cleaning for baked on food on the glass inside the oven? The self cleaning mode cleaned it up alot but not the stubborn stains and I dont want to scratch the glass.

• To Bro
    11 years ago

Carpgal: I used my Oreck steam vac, held it on an area of the glass for like a min, then wiped with cloth towel. I also used Soft Scrub on the cloth while wiping. No scratches, my glass looks brand new!

• greensonginheart
    11 years ago

I used stove glass top cleaner by Weiman & a green Scotch Brite, non-scratch scouring pad, along with some elbow grease, to clean the glass on the oven door. Not the inside panels but the glass you see when you open up the oven door that gets funky from splatters. I also love the "Bomb husband" for his tip on cleaning between the glass. Worked like a charm!

• SOB01
    11 years ago

PLEASE HELP!!! I have a Smeg SUK62CMX5 have tried to take apart oven door but there are 3 pieces of glass, does anyoine know how to take apart inner glass unit? There doesn't seem to be any screws. Many thanks.

• caseyl
    11 years ago

I LOVE YOUR HUSBAND! Drips on the inside have been driving me crazy for three years; I was about to take the damn thing apart, but windex taped to a paint brush took care of it. Amazing. thank you SO much.

• kr1st1n
    11 years ago

HOLY SMOKES! katbrauer, your husband deserves a gold star in the cookbook of life. and it's been six years since your original comment... WOW. we use our oven a ton, and despite an hour's worth of scrubbing the inside door, i still couldn't see through the glass.... until i found this thread!! thank you! we had about 8 year's worth of grease grime between the panes. i figured we'd never see through the glass again, but now it's clean! i can't wait to show my neighbor this trick!!

• Thomasbe1625
    11 years ago

Hi,
    I have a 1 year old Kenmore Pro double oven and have the same problem. Streaks between the glass. I was wondering if I used my handheld steam cleaner and sprayed the hot steam through the holes in the top of the glass if that would work? My concern is that it would make it worse and have tons of streaks, then again, it may steam the greasy streaks off? Not sure it is worth the risk, but wondered what others thought?
    Thanks,
    E in Michigan

• DanInSask
    11 years ago

Thanks Katbrauer!! Have been trying to find a way to clean this door for years!! Had started trying to take it apart and gave up! Now we no longer need to ensure that a dishcloth hangs on the door!! Having cats meant that not only were there drips, stains, but also little gatherings of cat hair....ughhh....which I would try to clean using thin cardboard slats from the sides......

So thanks again!!!!!!!

And the wife loves it!!

• rfeeny
    11 years ago

Had the same problem, a trickle of gravy between the glass.
    My warranty and M.A. didn't matter to Sears, "it was a cleaning problem", I replied it was a faulty design problem with my new Kenmore Range. So I asked the send me a new door.
    They didn't seem to be impressed with my sense of humor. I was told the charge would be $75 plus parts and labor. I said good-bye.

I then discovered the openings at the bottom of the door. With a wire coat hangar straightened out and a small piece of wash cloth (dampened) secured by rubber bands, I was able to clean the gravy stain in a few minutes. The oven had not been used since the spill occurred, a heated or burned stain might prove to be more challenging.

• ermachef
    11 years ago

I love buying the cute seasonal towels and holiday towels and hang them on my oven door They look so much cuter than just the door even without the streaks. Kohl's have really cute ones and they are so cheap when on sale.

• 1wanderer
    11 years ago

I have the same problem with mine and while anging a teatowel over the door is all well and good, if you are looking to sell your house you can't sell with a dirty oven door.
    I'll have to have a look at mine and see which method will work best.

• Mariafigueredo1948
    11 years ago

Your husband is the bomb. I did as you suggested, took the door off and used whatever I could to enter between the panes to clean the steaks. It worked. It looks a little cloudy but at least the streaks are gone! It was driving me crazy, I have cursed the GE company for such a flaw in the design. Thanks for sharing. Tell your hubby he is the best!

• JennyJames
    11 years ago

This is for sure a very hard task to go for and preform. What i think is that its just something next to impossible in order to get such glass of the over cleaned....

• xraydid
    11 years ago

Tried the stick/clothes hanger with rag, but everything was baked on, so I took the door apart. Easy. I have a GE JBP825SOH2SS. Take the door off by unlocking the hinges. Remove three hex-head screws on the bottom. Remove two long chrome torx-head screws from top inside that holds the handle in and holds the top of the inside cover on. DO NOT LOOSEN OR REMOVE THE SCREWS THAT ATTACH THE HINGE SPRINGS. The exterior of the door lifts off effortlessly. There are two long black "spacers" that the chrome screws go through - don't lose them. All of the glass surfaces are fully accessible for cleaning at this point. The inside surface of the exterior panel is NOT glass!!! It is some sort of plastic, so be careful what you clean it with. When re-assembling, simply put the long chrome screws in and slip the "spacers" over them. They will actually hold the screws in place as you align the door parts. Start all the screws (two long chrome, three black hex-heads) to align the panels properly. Tighten all the screws, re-install the finished door back into the oven opening, and it's done. The results were astonishing. Looks like it did when it came out of the factory. Common sense reigns here.... don't remove any more screws than is absolutely necessary to access the glass. I would not attempt to actually remove the "double pane" glass panel from the door itself - it's not necessary, anyway. BTW, I believe this could be done with the door still attached to the oven, but it is SO much easier and safer to remove the door.

• kon45
    11 years ago

Tried all this,still the streaks. I ended up taking the door off, removing the inside door section and much to my dismay my oven has not 1 or 2 or 3 glass panels, it has 4 glass panels. No wonder I couldnt get everything clean. I did figure out how to get to them all but don't think I will go that far into it again. It all went back together fairly easy and I did it all by myself. I did discover that the one streak that bothered me reappeared after I had it all back together because I had reopened the door and cleaned the vent holes on top of it. Thus water from my rag ran right through the vent holes and down the other side of the door. Good lesson there. Will only use a damp cloth there from now on!

• Darbee
    11 years ago

I have the Amana range Model: ARG7302WW with the spills between the glass on the door. I did just as katbrauer husband, "the bomb" suggested..IT WORKS!! "He took a bottle type brush (with a longer handle) sprayed a sock with windex, took the oven drawer out of the oven and layed on the floor. In the bottom of the oven door there are holes that he shoved the wand up into and voila the mess is all cleaned up." Cant believe this thread is still active, but thanks god it is, was driving me nuts!

This post was edited by Darbee on Fri, Mar 8, 13 at 18:10

• katterfelto
    10 years ago

Kudos to Katbrauer's husband! Clever lad. Very helpful. We also had acquired some unattractive streaks, stains, and dabs of roasted bumph on the interior surfaces of the oven door windows. It desperately wanted cleaning, yet having had more than my share of cussword-inducing experiences reassembling various appliances over the years, I had a very bad feeling about taking the door apart. Experience teaches that with appliances, disassembly is always the easy part; it's the *reassembly* that makes you want to take the thing out to a gun range and make a Youtube video of what happens when you shoot it. This is especially true of things like ovens, where parts are exposed to extremes of temperature that can cause problems with tolerances, or can make parts brittle. The last thing you want to hear when you're disassembling an appliance is the sickening "snap" of a fastener or part breaking. We have a Frigidaire Galaxy model. When I removed the bottom drawer, I was pleased to find three nice, big slots on the bottom edge of the door that allowed fairly easy access to the befouled inner surfaces of the glass. All I needed was a tool of some sort that I could scrape around with. I found a bottle brush in the garage, which wasn't nearly long enough. What I did have, though were a bunch of paint stirrers left over from various painting projects. (They usually give them away free when you buy a can of house paint.) I duct-taped two of them together with a 3 to 4-inch overlap, which made a perfect tool for reaching up through the slots. I then cut an oblong piece from an old non-abrasive scrubbing sponge. (Green scrubbing pads are abrasive; blue ones are not.) I trimmed some of the sponge material away from the scrubbing pad with scissors, then folded the pad over the end of the paint stirrer and taped it tightly in place with duct tape. I now had a fully functional door glass cleaner that fitted easily through the slots at the bottom of the door, and was capable of reaching all of the inner surfaces of the glass. I spritzed a little glass cleaner on the scrubbing tip and went to town. It takes a little bit of manipulation, but it's not nearly as tricky as using a coat hangar on account of the rigidity of the paint stirrers. Plus, it gives you a bigger cleaning surface. You're cleaning with an edge rather than a point. It takes a little time and patience to clean the oven windows this way, however the aggravation you'll be spared by not having to disassemble the oven door is well worth the modest investment of time and trouble. High kudos again to Katbrauer's husband for coming up with a brilliantly simple solution!

• kcalla
    10 years ago

Well, here's a weird question from a newbie: We took apart our Maytag Gemini lower oven door in order to tighten a loose handle. That went fine. But I was surprised to find a cardboard spacer the size of the window in the opening. I can't figure out what it is for. It certainly is not packing cardboard, because the installation people would have had no reason to disassemble the door. On one hand, it does not seem like corrugated cardboard would be safe inside an oven door. On the other hand, the range is more than 6 years old. Maybe they used it as inexpensive insulation. It was held in place by a little gasket. Does anyone know?

• toytheatre13
    10 years ago

So am I understanding that this cannot be done with a Kitchen Aid ? I thought the reason for the large glass inside the door is to prevent trouble with cleaning. Has any brand corrected this problem? My other problem is my 33yr old house is only set up to handle a 30 amp. oven. That leaves me with only GE or the low end Electrolux. My KD/contractor and electrician want $1,050.00 to change it to accommodate the new ovens! Should I get a 2nd estimate? Should I just go with the new GE Profile? Have any of the new ovens eliminated this problem?

• Aklatina
    10 years ago

I took my oven door apart to clean between the glass a couple of years ago. It came apart easily but was very time consuming to get it back together. To top it I couldn't get the glass completely clean. I gave uo and hung a terry towel over the door handle till I got a new stove.

• zaralia
    10 years ago

Not sure if you're still looking, but this was my response to the problem without disassembling the door. Proceed with caution and lots, lots, LOTS of tape (so you don't end up with a cleaning cloth stuck between the glass plates):

Check and see if you have an access hole on the bottom of the oven door (easiest way is to pull out the oven drawer and reach up--but use caution, because the edges of the hole might be sharp). I found a couple of slits in my Kenmore Elite that allowed me to access the space between the glass panels, then I formed a hacked-together cleaning tool out of 1) a fly swatter (it's long and bendy), 2) a swiffer cloth (you can wet it with water), and 3) unbelievable amounts of clear packing tape (if you think you have enough tape, add even more tape and pull on the swiffer cloth until you are absolutely certain that nothing will pull it from the fly swatter until the END OF DAYS, or you might get stuck with a swifter cloth in your oven door). Hope this helps you!

• Frank1906
    10 years ago

I bought my GE gas oven 2 months ago. The oven wasn't that dirty, and was told I should use it before major cooking to burn off that new smell. I noticed that there is a dark brown streak on the inner glass. I called GE, they scheduled an appointment, the service technician called me and told me this is not covered, and I would have to pay 135.00. I find this unacceptable for a brand new oven.

• hahira98
    10 years ago

When all else fails--camouflage. Not wanting to pay the exorbitant price for heat tape, my husband placed white self-stick door-sweep across the offending line of grime at the bottom of the two glass pieces. Fabulous! (We cut the sweep in half horizontally for the top glass, as it is narrow.)

• robb505
    9 years ago

Easy. I have an 8 year old Maytag double oven range. The trick is you do it from the bottom of the door. I removed 5 screws 3 in the middle and one at each end. The glass front of the door came right out. I used a general cleaner to remove grease streaks and general cleaning and used windex to make the glass streak free. I also removed an inner glass plate in front of the thermo-glass by removing two screws at one end. I cleaned that and the thermo-glass usung the same method. I put it back using the reverse process. I took no more than 30 min to clean both doors. I had to move the range out and tilt it back to get al the bottom door screws. Don't try removing the doors or taking the door apart from the top.

• bossyvossy
    9 years ago

Wondering if it will work w/ whirlpool oven. I have the same in between glass grime and I don't bake all that much. Will report here

• cluedin
    8 years ago

I am resting after removing my kitchenaid oven door. It is now sitting on the floor in my kitchen. It has 4 panes of glass, not 2. The stain ( happened while i was cleaning the glass with the oven door open - the cleaner leaked through the door)!

is between 2 panes that are fixed tightly together and there is no way that i could remove them myself. So this is the bad side of the internet classroom. I will rest a little while longer and then put the door back together stain intact.

• caroleeann49
    8 years ago

Why call a technician. If I can do it you can too. Open the oven door, take out 2 screws on the inside top and 2 on the inside bottom. Pull the oven door off the hinges with your hands on each side and pull evenly. Be sure to hold the parts of the door together and flat. Lay the door flat and open the end to pull out a glass piece, the one with all the little dots encircling the see through area. Remember that the rough side goes to the inside. Wash both pieces of glass with comet or similar.

Wash any other grease or mess with an SOS pad and finish everything off with Windex. Put the glass back in and be sure the see through part is in so you can see into the oven without a band of black showing because you might have turned it half a turn. Now screw the big 2 screws back and be sure the glass isn't between the holes or you will crack your glass. They screw into the handle. You did clean the handle didn't you? Now pull the door hinges down from the stove and slide a big 3" nail or larger in the back of the hinge sideways to force the hinge to stay pointing out. Now lift the stove door up and slide the bottom onto the hinge evenly or it will bind up. Don't force it. Now the other 2 little screws with washers go back in the holes you took them out of. They attach the door to the hinge. During all of this process never touch any glass with your fingers, only the edges. Close the door and give yourself a pat on the back.

• Shelly Rappa
    7 years ago

I too had the same problem and didn't want to hire a serviceman. The drip that was annoying me was on the way left side of the door and I felt this was impossible to happen from the top of the oven. The vent was too small. So everyone here's what I came up with. The reason the stains and drips are on the inside is because moisture collects from the two large BOTTOM VENTS when cooking. If you look carefully you will see and also feel the openings on the bottom of the door. I used a 12" ruler and a NEW microfiber cloth to clean the glass. Open the door and you are able to clean the glass on one side by carefully fiddling the cloth on the ruler on the inside by swishing it back and forth. Then close the door and go from the bottom for the other stains that collect on the other side of the glass and repeat. Don't use paper towels they can get stuck on the inside. Good Luck - I was able to achieve a dripless and stainfree glass front!

• Ellen Marx
    7 years ago
    Katbrauer is absolutely right! A pot of potatoes boiled over and and leaked between the glass panes of the oven door. I did as she suggested and it worked beautifully! No more streaks inside the glass of my oven door!
  • Toni Bacchitta
    6 years ago

Well, I guess I'm crazier than the rest of you. I just took my door off and took it apart and cleaned the glass. Submerged the door in the tub first, but then realized where the streaks were that it wasn't going to help. The insulation around the glass behind the FIRST panel(i have three of them) got soaked, so I took it off, wrung it out and will re assemble the door when the insulation dries. It looks like pieces of cotton, and its filthy. I wasn't about to call for service for this, and my oven is way, way out of warranty....I'm actually looking around for a new one. It was time consuming, but pretty simple to get back together, you just have to be patient. Taking it apart is actually better, I would think because now I can get all the other little nasties cleaned out of the door as well instead of just spot cleaning the glass.

Sponsored
Outdoor Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Experienced Full Service Landscape Design Firm Serving Loudoun County