Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

mold in refrigerator!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by chueh (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 24, 09 at 21:37

I am not sure how it happened, but I found BIG spots of mold in the refrigerator that my former tenant used.

How should I go about cleaning it? Do I need to wear a mask while cleaning? What can I use to clean? Is bleach sufficient to clean and rid of mold? Do I use straight bleach or diluted bleach?


Follow-Up Postings:

RE: mold in refrigerator!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh gross! My mom just had a tenant that left her a similar mess. They also left garbage bags of plates, cups, silverware, pots and pans, everything. They didn't like to wash dishes, so they threw it all away!!! I was horrified- by that and the mess. Depending on how bad the mess was that went with the mold you may want to add dish detergent to the cleaning water as well, but bleach should kill the mold. Make sure you have the drain tube and catch pan clean, too. That is if it's a self defroster and has those. A cup of bleach to two gallons of water (a scrub bucket 2/3 full) with some dish detergent should do it. I would recommend using at least a face mask and ventilate well. If they made an attempt at cleaning, they may have sprayed some stuff in the fridge that will react with the bleach. Please ventilate well. Ask me how I know this!;p

I hope they didn't leave the rest of the place as big of a mess for you. Good luck!

RE: mold in refrigerator!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would clean the refrigerator as I normally do - with some dishwashing liquid mixed with water. If you want to add some bleach for good measure, that's fine. Unless you have asthma or some other disease affecting your lungs, I wouldn't worry about wearing a mask.

However, is the mold on the walls or the shelves? If mold is growing on the walls, there may be a problem with the frig that you need to be concerned about. If it is on the shelves, you can write it off to spills and bad housekeeping.

RE: mold in refrigerator!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you thank you thank you for the answers

 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here