Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how to clean dryer duct?

Posted by chueh (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 2, 09 at 21:34

The house is full of dust balls. Can it cause by dryer duct clog? If so, how do I clean the dryer duct? Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how to clean dryer duct?

I disconnected mine from the dryer and blew it out with the leaf blower. It was rather loud, but it did the job.

o

How long is the vent? Where does it end?

You also need to tip the dryer up and vacuum under it, and inside it. Those things breed dust bunnies.

o

Thanks both, but lazygardens, I am not sure how long is the vent. It's probably very long, for it's on the second floor.

o

If it's on the 2nd floor it may be loose in the back causing you to have dust bunnies, Be sure the clamp is tight(tightens with screwdriver probably) Also if you can't get under it use a yard stick to go under it& get the dust out from under. Mine is gas & I have it in garage so once a yr. I shut gas off unplug & pull out & vacuum over it & floor & take the vent off & loosen screws on back and wipe out everywhere I can reach & take a long handled brush that is dampened with water to retrieve any dust I can't reach. I've heard a tbls. of dust is enough to start a fire. Most important is not to have it piled high & surrounded with junk or clothes. They would be a real hazard as heat could build up. Otherwise go find where vent goes out of house & see if it can be disconnected & shook out or cleaned out.

o

I get my vent professionally cleaned once a year. My vent is on the roof. They charge my $70 and I find it is well worth it as I am not going on the roof.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here