Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phylrae

For those who DO love their Dyson DC24 or DC 25 Bagless All Floor

phylrae
13 years ago

I have read numerous reviews online about the pros and cons of different vacs, & have read some of the strong feelings on this forum regarding Kirbys vs. Dysons, etc. However, Kirby is way too expensive, heavy/bulky for me, so I have absolutely no interest in exploring it.

Our local Target is having a sale on Dysons, and Walmart is as well. I am wondering (FOR THOSE WHO DO LOVE THEIR DYSONS), what the differences are between the DC24 Bagless All Floor Vacuum and the DC25 Bagless All Floor Vacuums.

I see that the DC24 is several pounds lighter than the DC25, but it also looks like it might have less suction power? I am not the biggest person in the world, so am wondering if the DC24 might be better....but, at the same time, I don't want to even consider buying something that has little suction or whose cord is too short, etc.

The older I get, the more I hate vacuuming our relatively small house, especially going up and down the stairs carrying a heavy, bulky & hard-to-maneuver vacuum. We have tile, linoleum & wood parquet and very little carpet, & only one short-haired cat who will NOT be replaced when she passes away).

I am wondering what everyones' thoughts are who DO have and like their Dysons. Thanks in advance! Phyl

Comments (7)

• lucky51
    13 years ago

I really have no opinion either way about owning a Dyson but I do believe you should be aware of a few things before you purchase, (unless your are buying firstly by price over utility) You posted "The older I get, the more I hate vacuuming our relatively small house, especially going up and down the stairs carrying a heavy, bulky & hard-to-maneuver vacuum. We have tile, linoleum & wood parquet and very little carpet, & only one short-haired cat who will NOT be replaced when she passes away)." If you hate vacuuming ask yourself if your up to the maintenance requirement of a bagless machine. Will you wash the filters regularly? Will you have the cyclones maintained so as not to have dirt sitting in your closet? Next, Dyson's are somewhat heavy vacuums. With a very aggressive brushroll, a Dyson is better at homes with carpeting, more so than bare floor. Lastly realize that with the large ball it will be hard to get under furniture and into tight spaces.
    You really should get a canister vacuum. After all what good is a bargain if it doesn't meet the requirements you yourself have listed.

• clg7067
    13 years ago

I have a Dyson DC7, I think it's about 4 years old, now. There is very little maintenance on it. There is one filter that needs to be washed in the kitchen sink every 6 months or so, but I've only done it a couple of times. Then there is a lifetime filter that is supposed to never need replacing. I decided to replace it (I have large dogs, after all), but when I pulled it out it looked in great condition.

Before I got a Dyson, I used to poo-poo it as being an overly expensive vacuum. But I love it and got a deal on it, too. I used the Bed Bath and Beyond 20% coupon, plus there was a special where I received a $100 gift card to the store.

I have three large dogs who shed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cleaning a Dyson Filter

• clg7067
    13 years ago

My subject says it all. Only my basement doesn't have a vacuum because I hardly ever go down there.

• graywings123
    13 years ago

If you go to the Dyson website, you can do a side by side comparison of the two models. The DC 25 has more suction power, a larger bin capacity, a stair tool, a longer reach, 4.6 foot longer cord, and is $100 more in list price.

• phylrae
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone! I appreciate all the info and am really doing my research! :0) Phyl

• oceanna
    13 years ago

I have a DC-18 and it's my hands down favorite vac I've ever owned, and I've owned a lot of vacs. Count me as another one who used the Bed Bath & Beyond 20% off coupon. I got the DC-18 because I'm not getting any younger and it's smaller and lighter weight. But it's been just great for me. I love it for everything but the stairs -- want a hand held for that. It sucks up dirt and hair like you wouldn't believe!

Good luck. IMO, you can't go wrong with a Dyson. BTW, I even saw them at Big Lots once for a fabulous price, but didn't know enough to get one at the time. So you might want to phone around.

• phylrae
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone...I bought the last DC24 All Floors (yellow ball version) tonight.....picked up the DC25 and knew immediately I'd HATE its weight and girth, picked up the DC24 All Floors and knew it fit me like a glove. I will keep my old Hoover Windtunnel canister for reaching under my bed periodically. The rest of my house is small and the furniture is easily moved to get behind, etc. Dragging a heavy canister around behind me was the reason I detested vacuuming in the first place.
    I appreciate all your responses! :0) Phyl

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler