Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is there an easy way to clean AC return grilles?

Posted by hammerslammer (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 12, 11 at 19:58

I have two AC return grilles that always look dirty due to the dust that is continuously drawn through them. We live on a dirt road, so that doesn't help either. The only way I can get them as clean as I'd like is to completely remove them and wash them down with a garden hose. Within a couple of days they need a good dusting again. Can anyone recommend a quicker, easier way to clean them?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is there an easy way to clean AC return grilles?

Use the brush attachment of your vacuum cleaner. It looks something like this:

o

I've tried the brush attachment. It did help some, but not as much as I'd like. Thanks for the tip, though.

o

I live on a dirt road also so I KWYM. The best thing for regular dusting is a microfiber cloth, kind of bunched together so it gets between the slats.

I'm awful, I keep forgetting to clean it until I notice it's partially brown. lol.

Since moisture probably gathers there from the return air due to high humidity, about the only thing to do is wash it with 409. 409 is my friend. :)

If that doesn't work, they can easily be painted. Good luck!

o

I'm on a crushed limestone road, in an agricultural area that is drought-stricken. The only thing that works for me is taking the grills out and hosing them off. If I just cannot face doing that, I use the brush attachment on this Metro Data-Vac vacuum cleaner:
, my go to emergency catastrophe vacuum. Still, however, the hose is best.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here