Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oceanna_gw

Window cleaning frustrations/questions grrrrrr!!!

oceanna
13 years ago

How do you clean windows you can't reach that need muscle power to scrub them -- such as:

- the kitchen garden window inside

- the front seat car window that slants way out

???

I can't reach either one with my hand, try as I may.

While we're at it, what's the best way to clean outside windows, especially second story ones?

Thanks!

Comments (10)

• lindac
    13 years ago

Uh....hire it done. LOL!
    I had a cleaning lady that would use a swiffer mop with the swiffer pad replaced with a microfiber cloth to clean some of my tall windows.

• arizonny
    13 years ago

I have a garden window too. I bought one of these and LOVE it!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Windshield Wonder

• oceanna
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Linda, I like to be able to do for myself, and cleaning a window isn't at all hard IF I have the right tool, thanks.

Arizonny, thank you! I will drop by Walgreens and see if they have one. Looks perfect. :) Does the head swivel? I ask because the kitchen garden window is at a very different angle than the car window.

• arizonny
    13 years ago

If they no longer have them @ Walgreens you should be able to order one from any on the "As Seen on TV" sites. I always laugh at all that crap but this tool, is VERY useful.

By "swivel", if you mean side to side, no. The handle does pivot on the head though.

As corny as these adds are, it really does make these jobs easy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Watch this.

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    13 years ago

IMHO the very best way to clean windows is to use a fillable windshield washer thingy covered with a scrubbee and filled with windshield washer fluid. For taller windows just use a washer with a long handle. After scrubbing (which is very easy since using windshield washer fluid), just use a squeegee. Doesn't take long at all to finish a bank of windows. I use this method inside and out.

• arizonny
    13 years ago

oceanna, I wanted to stop in and tell you that I saw them @ Target today too. The have a small "As Seen on TV" section in the kitchen gadget section.

• Rudebekia
    13 years ago

oceanna, I moved into a second floor condo in a 100 year old house two years ago. My biggest regret is that I can't possibly clean the outside of the window sashes myself anymore! Even though both the upper and lower sashes can be moved up and down, there are areas of the outside sash that I just can't possibly reach to clean (or I risk falling out of the window). And I just don't want to get up on a ladder; too risky! I love clean, sparkly windows, but I have to resign myself now to a once-per-year-cleaning by a hired person. This is hard!

• cleanfreak_2010
    13 years ago

I use a microfiber mop, even on windows I can reach. I tried it for the first time while mopping floors because my patio doors had dog nose prints all over and hadn't been wiped down in a couple of months due to laziness. Even with a fairly dirty mophead (I had mopped the whole room and not yet rinsed the mophead), I got really good results and very quickly. That led me to clean all the windows this way in no time. Results were not flawless, but a huge improvement over windows I otherwise probably would not clean frequently. Now I do it regularly this way, and they look better and better with each cleaning. I love microfiber!

• suz_natural
    13 years ago

Late reply but might be useful to others if not Oceanna. I have something similar to the Windshield Wonder from Lee Valley. The pad is triangular to better access corners. Currently in my yearly "let's-get-this-house-organized-once-and-for-all" frenzy and trying to find a permanent home for this gizmo. The "bonnets" seem to have been separated from the cleaner. I see that the Windshield Wonder can be stored in the glove box. I'll try that with mine.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lee Valley

• Divyah
    10 years ago

For fast n clear results, try washing windows with a squeegee .

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!