Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenn_gw

Looking for a good basic mop

jenn
12 years ago

We have tile floors in several rooms of our house and need a new mop. We do not want the Shark type of steam mop -- just a basic mop that does a good job. Can anyone recommend one? Is a sponge mop better than a rag mop?

Comments (7)

• mikie_gw
    12 years ago

I've tried all kind of mops.
    For some reason the old fashion traditidional cotton string mop always do the best job.

Take it outside and hose it off after each use.
    Hang it over something outside to dry.

Nice big commercial wringer bucket surely makes it use simple.

• krissie55
    12 years ago

The installer of our tile floors suggested using an old fashion string mop.

Sponge mops pushes dirty water into the grout.

I like the Fuller Brush string mop.

Mops with strings attached on end of handle with a string holding it on was like mopping with a stick. If the mop has strings spread out about 4-5 inches where it attaches to the handle works great.

• jenn
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you for your replies.

I'm curious why a string mop doesn't push around dirty water like a sponge mop does.

• livebetter
    12 years ago

I have tried several mops of the years and my absolute favorite is the Casabella Magnet Mop.

It has a mircrofibre cover over the sponge and just does an excellent job.

I've convinced several friends and family members to get one and they agree.

Here is a link that might be useful: Casabella Magnet Mop

• geguymw
    12 years ago

Jenn;

Sponge mops are not as good as a string mop, because first the sponge mop can squeeze liquid out of the sponge as you push it. This happens when you push the mop forward, because you are actually pushing down on the sponge. Second, sponge mops can sometimes leave a line of dirt and bubbles at the end of the mop stroke. Thirdly, sponge mops are not the best at cleaning baseboards as effectively and efficiently as a string mop. What happens when you run the sponge against the baseboard? Scratch! The sponge mop can clean the baseboards, but you will have to turn the mop so the bottom of the head can wipe the whole baseboard. Lastly, a sponge mop does not have as large of a surface area to clean the floor or hold dirt.

Years ago, I switched to a Fuller brush string mop, because I wanted a good quality mop with a metal handle. The problem I was having with wooden handles was after time, the wood would splinter and deposit pieces in my hand.

Then came the string mop with a wringer handle. I was tired of putting my hand on the string mop, in order to wring it out. Different brands are available such as O-Cedar Twist N' Mop, Libman Tornado, Quickie Twist Mop. The Quickie seems to be the sturdiest. There was the vileda mop, which worked well, but they seemed to have a problem with the soft foam grip. While wringing out the mop, one must hold onto the grip. After time, this grip would tear. I am not sure the Vileda is even available anymore.

These mops are easier to use. No more getting hands wet. Plus, these mops can go up against the baseboards without scratching or having to turn the head.

Other options are to purchase a basic string mop and bucket with a wringer insert, which sits on top of the bucket. All you have to do with this is put the soaking wet mop in the wringer device and turn the mop to wring. This is a modification to the larger wringer buckets, that the commercial cleaners use. I would suggest the larger commercial wringer bucket and commercial string mops only if you have a really large area to clean and can handle moving the large, wet mop.

Here is a link that might be useful: O-cedar Twist N' Mop

• krissie55
    12 years ago

Jenn

String mop strands are the right width to fit into the line of grout. This will make for better absorption of water from the depressed grout line.

• k9arlene
    12 years ago

I love the spin mop.