Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Protecting/cleaning fabric of outdoor cushions

Posted by jenn (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 18, 11 at 18:22

We have some new cushions for the chairs on the front porch. The covers are not removable so I can't toss them in the washer.

Anyone know the best product to use to protect the fabric from dust/dirt that blows around, and to clean the fabric when it gets dusty/dirty?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Protecting/cleaning fabric of outdoor cushions

I put on a protectant (303 Aerospace Protectant) that I get at a local boating store. My covers are an off white color that I sprayed last year. They have been out there all summer and also during contruction of the new patio. Little soap and a brush and they look clean. It makes them repel the water and dirt. I also use this stuff on the interior carpets of new vehicles when I purchase them.

I do take them in during the winter months. (Keeps the squirrels from using them as filling for their nests.) Heads up that if you purchase this it does take a lot of this stuff. You need to saturate the material. So much better than Scotchguard.

o

Jenn I went out in the garage and looked for the bottle. The actual name is 303 High Tech Fabric Guard Water Repellent. It is recommended by Sunbrella. They also make a 303 protectant for vinyl.

o

Thanks, housefairy. I found the product at Amazon; one of the reviews there said it can be found at Ace Hardware. I'll check our local Ace store which seems to carry everything under the sun!

o

I wouldn't stray far from housefairy's recommendation - not that you were going to! Most outdoor fabric can handle cleaning with a mild dishwashing liquid/soap and rinsed well before storing, anything near the detergent classification can damage the waterproof coating.

Just thought I'd second her protectant advice. Lol. When I was looking at new outdoor furniture this spring some labels indicated "spot clean only". I was aghast.

o

Boating stores have it too. I've used a lot of their stuff over the years. Besides 303 fabric stuff, they make some great stuff for rubber and vinyl.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here