Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cleaning hard water stains off glass

Posted by buckeyesrule (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 13, 09 at 17:41

It looks like I have hard water stains embedded in/on my glass walls in my shower. I have tried calcium remover, tilex, fantastic, and a home remedy of water lemon juice and vinegar. I dry the walls after each shower and spray them down with a tiles "keep your shower clean in between showers" product. It looks better but far from good!

Any advice out there whether it is homeade or store bought that works well with hard water stains that proably have been there for a couple of years?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cleaning hard water stains off glass

The water in some cities can actually etch glass....hope that's not your case.
I would try straight white vinegar and a Scotch Bright scrubber....Finish off with some 10% alcohol.
Linda C

o
RE: cleaning hard water stains off glass

Not sure about the walls but, you can save yourself a lot of work by starting over by purchasing a new shower door. Coat the door with a hard surface coating like Rain X. Then get in the habit of using a shower squeegee to remove the water from the door after every shower use. This will keep the mineral deposit from adhering to the glass. You will only need to put additional coats of Rain X about once a month.

Also keep in mind that shower doors are tempered glass. Using a razor/scraper or scrub pads on tempered glass can leave nasty scratches.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hard Water Deposits

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here