Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sweeterthanhoney

Removing musty smell from towels and clothes

sweeterthanhoney
16 years ago

ok, I will admit that doing laundry is not my strong point. I do do it, but I sometimes, ok, OFTEN, forget to take it out of the washer and put it in the dryer.

So, I got musty towels and some musty smelling clothes :(

How on earth do I remove this smell? I've tried vinegar, vinegar and baking soda, both in with the wash cycle, and vinegar in the rinse cycle. I can't get rid of it!

I need some HELP! I am sick of smelling strong musty towels when I dry off after my bath!

Comments (13)

• reeree_natural
    16 years ago

rewash towels with HOT water, detergent and add bleach..you might also want to run your washer with one cup of bleach and hot water ( empty, no clothes) to clean the machine out as well and get rid of any musty odors (and bacteria)
    Ree

• franci37
    16 years ago

I had the same problem and started putting less clothes in my washer, and using less detergent. That did it. Once in a while I get that same smell and realize I need to go back to putting fewer clothes in. Worth a try.

• ellied
    16 years ago

I get a product from SAMS club called OdoBan. It comes in a gallon jug usually with a full spray bottle attached.
    I fill my fabric softener dispenser with it and use a little less detergent and the towels come out soft and fresh smelling.

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    16 years ago

Are you in a location where you can try natural outdoor direct sunlight?

Cautiously, it may bleach some materials.

• reeree_natural
    16 years ago

Also..front loaders are known to get a sour smell..( I am not sure if this is what you have) it's because the door is sealed tight when shut..no air gets inside, after you do a load, you naturally close the door and the inside is not dry, so it will smell after a while...It is also good to clean out you machine as I have posted earlier on..also vinegar after a bleach wash (empty) will help it a long as well as clean out the hoses..
    Ree

• zjdeere
    15 years ago

How about this? I have a moldy smell in some of my clothes but not others. More specifically in some of my polo type shirts but not others. It's bad enough that I can't wear them. I can wash two shirts in the same load - one will smell, the other will not. I should also mention that it's the same 3 or 4 shirts that smell every time. I'm guessing they got moldy at some point and the mold is still there. Any help would be much appreciated.

• wantoretire_did
    15 years ago

"OFTEN, forget to take it out of the washer and put it in the dryer."

Run that load through again with hot or warm water and a cup of ammonia. Usually works for me. (BTDT) Or, set a loud timer to let you know when the load is finished so you can get it out before it smells ;-)

• groomingal
    15 years ago

zjdeere- I had the same problem with a pair of jeans- the smell increased over a short period of time. The jeans were practically new and I didn't want to throw them in the trash. I got on the Laundry forum and several people recommended Charlie's Soap- after a few washes with that detergent they quit smelling and I keep using that detergent and they haven't smelled since.

The only thing we could think of was maybe something used in the manufacturing process of the clothing.

• jannie
    15 years ago

I can also recommend Charlies Soap and multiple washes. It even gets rid of the smell of feces. Don't ask how I know, but it does.

• shelende
    15 years ago

Add a little Lysol all purpose cleaner to your detergent and let it soak for a little while.

• wiredgirl
    15 years ago

I'm with summiebee, my sisters and I were all complaining about our towels and thought it was the dye maybe. Ditch the liquid soap and go back to powder. We have had no problems since.

• lindac
    15 years ago

Dacron or other fibers of that family ( it's been too long, I forget it it's a polyester or another classification) hold smells and stains more than cotton or other man made fibers.
    That may be an explanation for why some shirts smell and others don't.
    Linda C

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living