Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
momof3boys_2006

Poop in the Laundry!

momof3boys_2006
14 years ago

My husband accidently opened a little "gift" sent home from daycare and tossed it in the laundry with everything else. Now, I can't get the poop smell out of the blankets, clothes, etc. Any suggestions? I really don't want to trash an entire load!

Comments (14)

• graywings123
    14 years ago

How many times have you washed the items?

I would try adding something fragrant into the wash along with the detergent - maybe a half cup or so of Pine Sol?

• kris_zone6
    14 years ago

Try asking on the laundry forum. There are a lot of experts over there.

Here is a link that might be useful: Laundry Forum

• lindac
    14 years ago

Wash the stuff with an enzyme cleaner....something like Nature's Miracle....sold in the pet store.
    And hot water and detergent should remove any odor....the reason it smells is it's not clean.
    Linda C

• jannie
    14 years ago

When I had kids in diapers, I found the perect laundry c;eaner for accidents, it's called Charlie's Soap. Expensive but worth it. Just google its name.

• peanutmom
    14 years ago

This is a simple solution. Been there- my daughter is potty training! Take the clothes that have the smell and load them in the washer. Add a dose and a half of oxiclean. Soaking in warm water will work best as it activates the oxiclean and leave them sit overnight. If you want to use cold water you will have to put the oxiclean in some hot water. It is best if you let it agitate some to disperse the cleaner. Drain and wash as normal the next day. It worked great for me. Let me know how you do end up getting the smell out. I'm always open for new ideas!

• mommabird
    14 years ago

You can also try Borax and also Washing Soda. Both remove odors. I use both. Washing Soda makes thing whiter, too, but doesn't bleach out colors. Washing Soda is cheaper so I tend to use it more. Both are in the laundry aisle near bleach.

You can also use Baking Soda in laundry, but Washing Soda is cheaper.

• brutuses
    14 years ago

Wipe down all the gaskets and rubber surfaces with bleach and water as the smell can get on them and not rinse out as thoroughly as other surfaces.

Do you have a front loader? It's possible some of the "stuff" is still in the rubber catch thing in the front of the washer. Wipe that out with bleach and water.

• lindac
    14 years ago

Am I he only one who used cloth diapers for my kids?
    You dumped the solid stuff into the toilet. then put the diapers into a diaper pail...which was 1/2 filled with water and I used Snowy bleach, a dry oxygen bleach ...like oxy clean is today.
    Every couple of days you would dump the pail into the washer and spin it out....fill and rinse....then add the rest of the baby's clothes, more snowy, some Dreft. Nothing ever smelled after being washed.

• kris_zone6
    14 years ago

Linda, that is also the way I did it. No smell at all.

• arleneb
    14 years ago

Linda, that's what I did, except I used Clorox. Those diapers were the cleanest, most spotless things in our house!!

• mara_2008
    14 years ago

Linda -- another one here. I dumped the waste in the toilet before putting the diapers in the soak pail. I always used 1 cup of borax and 1/2 cup of Clorox in a 5-gallon pail, dissolved completely in HOT water before adding diapers.

I soaked the diapers in it 'til it was full, dumped diapers and soak water in the washer, spun the soak water out, then washed the diapers in hot water and Ivory Snow, with vinegar in the final rinse.

They always came out snow white and fluffy -- ultra clean. The vinegar was recommended to me by an Army nurse (my dh was in the military at the time) who said it would strip out all detergent so the baby's bottom wouldn't get irritated. She was right.

At one point, I had two babies in diapers. This routine worked exceedingly well with nary a problem. 'Course, I am really glad I was still in my 20s at that time. Had lots and lots of energy.

• mara_2008
    14 years ago

Back on topic, OP:

If I were you, I would re-wash the load of laundry, using water as hot as the fabric will allow and Lysol concentrate (not the household cleaner -- link below), which is a disinfectant. I would also use vinegar in the final rinse. I have heard it also kills bacteria.

I would not put any of the laundry in a dryer until all the odor is completely gone. If you wish to use fabric softener, I would check first to be sure the odor is all out, then run an extra rinse with fabric softener.

Hope this helps!

Here is a link that might be useful: Lysol Concentrate

• mommabird
    14 years ago

I also used cloth diapers for my sons who are 9, 13 and 15 now.

I would dump out the "waste" then soak in the diaper pail in borax and water or washing soda and water. Every 2 or 3 days I would pour the diaper pail water out into the toilet, then dump the wet diapers into the waher and wash with Ivory Snow & washing soda. They came out very clean.

I got 20 or so dozen diapers FREE from a friend when a diaper service went out of business in my town. He was the lawyer handling the bankruptcy and he called when the owner needed to clean out the warehouse. The owner was giving away the diapers to anyone who would take them! So - if a diaper was too gross, I would just throw it away. Not to eco-friendly but better on my washer!