Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pants won't come clean!

Posted by oceanna (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 21, 10 at 17:06

My lime green sweat/athletic pants came out of the wash with purple stains all over them. They didn't have them when they went into the wash, so I'm assuming they picked up some dye off another piece of clothing.

Tried soaking in OxyClean overnight, and have re-washed them several times. Shout sprayed on the stains hasn't budged them.

Any ideas before I give up and throw the pants out?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pants won't come clean!

In the stain removal area of the cleaning section of your favorite box store or grocery store, they have a lot of different options for cleaning dye out of clothing that wasn't supposed to be there. (if you know what I mean)

I have used a product called "brite white" on a couple of things that have had dye depositted on them, with pretty good success. If you look, I think Rit has a product with dye remover in it as well. If all else fails and you are going to throw them out anyway, you could bleach them. It doesn't seem to hurt lime green as much as some other colors. My SD's favorite color seems to be lime green. So with softball practice and the stuff she picks up riding bikes, I get more than a little practice cleaning it.

Good luck.

o

Thanks, Peanutmom! I'll look for Brite White at the store. I was afraid Rit dye remover might remove the lime green?

o

The dye remover might lighten the lime green, but it seems like this is a color that seems to take a lot of abuse and not show it so much. Anything that works, sometimes, to save a favorite item.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here