Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dr. Bronner's in Bissel carpet/steam cleaner?

Posted by venividibitchy (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 12, 10 at 16:43

Looking for a more non-toxic carpet cleaner that I can use in our Bissel steam/carpet cleaner....any suggestions?

I've seen some pre-made mixes online, but I'd rather only look into them as a last resort.

I doubt that baking soda and a vacuum would be enough for these filthy carpets. What about very dilute Dr. Bronner's?

Your thoughts and suggestions appreciated-

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dr. Bronner's in Bissel carpet/steam cleaner?

Yes you can use Dr. Bronners and there is a recipe for carpet cleaning here: http://www.naturemoms.com/natural-carpet-cleaner-recipe.html

How about Mrs. Meyers? I got mine at Bartell Drug Store, but my grocery carries it too. All natural and the smell is heavenly. You can unscrew the cap and smell each "flavor" to see which you like best right in the store. You might want to phone or write them and ask if it's good for carpets. I use it for everything else, but haven't shampooed carpets since I discovered it.

Well, not everything else; for the toughest cleaning jobs I use Bio Green Clean (all natural, non toxic), bought over the web. It's a great cleaner, but expensive.

Here is a web site that gives economical homemade carpet cleaner suggestions: The Dollar Stretcher.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mrs. Meyers web site

o

Simple Green?

o

Seventh Generation has a non-toxic carpet shampoo. I used to use Simple Green 12 years ago until it turned my floors green. Once I stopped using it, the floor gradually returned to white.

Here is a link that might be useful: 7th Generation Carpet Shampoo

o

I'd try either Dr. Bronner's Sal Suds-- this is a different product than the castille soap. Sal Suds is made for house-cleaning, not skin-cleaning.

...or Charlie's Soap All-Purpose cleaner. You can use 1/2 the amount of CS as commercial rug cleaner recommended for you particular shampooer.

o

BioKleen makes a carpet shampoo (see 18 reviews giving it 5 out of 5 - http://international.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=189741&catid=142231&trx=PLST-0-SEARCH&trxp1=142231&trxp2=189741&trxp3=1&trxp4=0&btrx=BUY-PLST-0-SEARCH&fromsrch=biokleen+rug).

I have used their Bac-Out product and can't say enough good things about it. It has removed many stains in my life :)

Carpet & Rug Shampoo
Biokleen Carpet & Rug Shampoo is safe on all washable fibers and is gentle on carpet backings and pads. Safe for most types of surfaces, cleans and rinses effectively with hot or cold water, and leaves no harsh residues or fumes behind. Works with household or rental carpet shampooers and even commercial extractors.
� Removes tough stains and odors without toxic chemicals
� Safe to use in homes with children and pets
� Great for high traffic areas
� Perfect for home and office environments
� Kind to those with chemical sensitivities and allergies

Please let us know what you try and how it works!

Someone also told me that they used Shaklee's Basic H2 (although this you can't find in stores). I've not tried it myself but the acquaintance that did was very pleased.

Here is a link that might be useful: BioKleen Carpet & Rug Shampoo

o

The best cleaner for me is the steam cleaner. It is convenient to use.

This post was edited by williamscott395 on Mon, Mar 17, 14 at 10:04

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here