Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sticky wood banisters

Posted by pugga (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 9, 09 at 16:42

My banisters have some sort of sticky buildup on them. I've tried using orange cleaner, vinegar/water on them but can't get rid of the buildup.

Any suggestions? I'd like to try Restore A Finish after they're clean.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sticky wood banisters

It's hand oil and dirt buildup.

Scrub with fine steel wool and mineral spirits to remove it.

o

Orange clean products will soften the finish...some finishes that is.
Fine steel wool and mineral spirits as lazygardens says will remove it but also the finish.
so when you get the sticky off, reapply a varnish amd throw out that orange cleaner
Linda C

o

Thanks. Will give that a try.

(normally I don't use cleaners on my wood, just dust regularly. I just was at a loss as to what might get rid of the gunk.)

o

My DH cleaned ours with plain dishsoap (grease-cutting) and water. They look like new!

o

lol, I always forget about plain old dishsoap. Last week my husband pulled our freezer drawer out so I could clean up some drips and spills and I was looking under the sink at all my cleaners and I said "What should I use to clean it?" and he looked at me like I was dense and said "Hot soapy water!?"

Oh.

o

My black wrought-iron banisters get dirty and sticky, especially in the summer when it's humid. I use steel wool and undiluted Murphy's soap to clean them. I don't recommend MS for anything else. I tried it on my oak wood flooring and it left nasty streaks.

o

My painter told me that hands leave an oily deposit on handrails. He suggested washing the handrail weekly.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here