Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
living2_gw

Silverfish in my closet eating my clothes

Living2
9 years ago

I am not sure where to post since it is in the house, silverfish and moths.

Recently I found 3 holes in my cashmere sweater so I took it to get it dry cleaned (can't afford to clean them all). I have a lot to lose if I can't kill them. I found the silverfish in the garage and other places in the house (killed them) but haven't found one in the closet yet but found small moths in the closet.

I put Diatomaceous Earth between the wall and carpet in the closet (large closet). I put it on the doorway from the garage to the house (closet on 3rd floor). I am going to put moth balls in each file box in the garage. I am putting dabs of lavender oil on the walls in the closet. I removed the clothes steamer out of the closet and into the bathroom (to prevent moisture).

1) What more can I do to kill eggs (I can't see) or bugs etc from ruining all the clothes? i am picking up all the clothes and shoes off the floor and will vacuum (but how often plus I have central vacuum so the bag is in a closet in the garage).

2) Should I take each articles of clothing to the bathroom and clothes steam each to kill any eggs I can't see and inspect the clothing?

3) Should I get a room heater and put it on high in the closet, close the doors and heat up the room for hours? Would that ruin the clothes (silk, wool, etc)?

Please help, thank you ahead of time

NOTE: I have a cat that likes to sleep in the closet typically under the close on the ground, thus looking for natural ways. It's hard to keep him out of there because that was his safe place when we first moved here. He is a skittish cat from the streets. My moth eater but he is not interested in the small ones, just the big ones.

This post was edited by Living2 on Wed, Sep 10, 14 at 20:20

Comments (4)