Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cleaning Deep Fat Fryer

Posted by andrea_san_diego (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 2, 09 at 15:51

I have a TFAL Deep Fat Fryer that I use to form taco shells that is a bear to clean. The oil gets everywhere and turns into a gummy yellow mass. If I work really hard with an SOS pad it will remove some of the gunk but it's very difficult and I'm afraid of scratching the surface. The fact that I can't submerse the appliance in water compounds the problem. Are there any products that would desolve the grease buildup? The outside looks like stainless steel and the inside is aluminum. I may be able to use oven cleaner on the outside but not on the inside as it would corrode the aluminum. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cleaning Deep Fat Fryer

Cleaning my deep fryer is one of my least favorite chores but i have an easy solution to make this one a little bit easier
Things You'll Need:
Scraper or spatula
Clean cloths or paper towels
Water
Dishwashing liquid
Vinegar
Degreasing solvent or baking soda
Step 1
Unplug the deep fryer and let the oil cool. When the oil has cooled to about 150 degrees F, drain the oil out of the fryer. Remove the basket and wash separately.
Step 2
Scrape the sides of the deep fryer to remove any caked on food or oil. Remove with a paper towel.
Step 3
Fill with water to the oil level and add a little dishwashing liquid. Plug in the deep fryer and allow the soap solution to come to a boil. Allow to boil 5 to 15 minutes. Turn off the deep fryer, unplug it and allow the water solution to cool.
Step 4
Drain the water from the deep fryer and discard. Rinse with a solution of 1 part vinegar to 9 parts water. Rinse a final time with clear water. Dry thoroughly with a clean cloth or paper towels.
Step 5
Clean the outside of the deep fryer by covering it with a degreasing solvent or a paste made from baking soda and water. Let stand 5 to 10 minutes. Rinse with a wet cloth or paper towel. Dry thoroughly.

I hope this helps!

Alicia

Here is a link that might be useful: Green Home & Garden Tips

o
RE: Cleaning Deep Fat Fryer

I use essentially the same method. Empty cooled oil out of the fryer. (I store it in the refrigerator for future use). Remove any grease you can with paper towels. Add hot water from the tap and a good squirt of Dawn Dishwashing liquid. Let sit, when water cools to about lukewarm bathwater temperature, dump out the fryer. Hand wash the inside of the fryer. Be careful at all steps. Never immerse the fryer in water. You're done.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here