Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kaisermust

How to really clean Pergo wood floors?

kaisermust
14 years ago

Have Pergo medium color oak floor in kitchen. Regret going with wood floor now because I can't seem to keep it clean looking. First, I use dry Swiffer sweeper to get up most of the dust bunnies, animal hair and loose dirt. Not bad, but such a pain. Don't dare want to use an upright vacuum with beater brush but is there another vacuum I could use? After Swiffer vacuuming I use a steam mop, the Bissell. Saw it work great on TV but seems to just push dirt around on my kitchen floor. I can see Swirls of dry dirt after the floor dries. For those of you who rave about steam mops what am I doing wrong? Before I got the steam mop I used Bona wood floor cleaner and microfiber mop. Have to say floor looked cleaner with this method but I was always rinsing out the mop head every couple of passes on the floor. Major pain! And now Pergo floor looks dull. Not shiny. Have also tried Bona floor refinisher to bring sheen back. Nothing. For those of you who have Pergo in the kitchen and PETS, how do you keep your Pergo floors looking clean (sweeping AND product cleaning)??? Cleaning is bad enough without having the results look like you just wasted your time. Suggestions, please.

Comments (13)

• clt3
    14 years ago

Well Pergo is not wood, it's laminate - that means plastic. You should be able to vacuum it with anything you want. Bona floor refinisher won't do anything to plastic laminate. Might even leave quite a residue. I've used both the swiffer wet mop or a microfiber mop with the Pergo cleaner.

• graywings123
    14 years ago

Cut and paste from the Pergo website:
    PergoÂs exclusive LusterGard TM surface protection ensures dirt and dust will not adhere to your floor and guarantees it will not stain or fade like other flooring surfaces.

For day to day maintenance an occasional damp mop, quick sweeping or light vacuuming with the hard floor attachments are usually all it takes to keep your Pergo floor clean. Do not use soaps, detergents, or cleaners with wax because they may leave a film, dulling the floor.

Difficult spots like nail polish, markers, tar and cigarette burns can be easily removed with Pergo's Laminate and Hard Surface cleaner. Another option is to mix 1 gallon of water with 1 cup vinegar or ½ cup of ammonia per gallon of water. Pergo floors must never be waxed, polished, sanded or refinished and never use a wet or jet mop when cleaning.

• jaytori220
    14 years ago

I have the laminate wood floors in every room of our house. I vacum with a regular vacum and use straight vingar to mop it. I usually put it in a spray bottle and spray it on the floor lightly then go over it with a damp mop. The smell does not linger long and keeps the house smelling clean and fresh.

• ma-bookreader
    14 years ago

The problem with using a vacuum on a laminate floor is that the beater brush (if you have an upright) can scratch it. This is also true of hardwood floors - they should not be vacuumed. A canister vacuum would most likely be just fine. NOte that the Pergo website noted that if you are going to vacuum, that you need to use the hardwood floor attachment as it does not have a beater bar.

Instead, you need to sweep first. A dust mop is fine for a quick once over, but it will not pick up all the dust. It is best for picking up the big stuff like dust bunnies, hair and the like. It is not especially good at picking up find dirt and that is what you are seeing on the floor when you use your mop. A good broom will pick up everything. Then when you mop, you won't see dust mixing with the cleaning solution.

Then, I would suggest a plain microfiber head mop and a spray bottle with water, vinegar and alcohol. Easy to make and very effective.

• Donald Davenport
    8 years ago

Also NEVER use steam cleaning machines on your Pergo Floor unless you want to replace it! Do not use a swiffer or like mop as you will tend to over saturate the floor and this too WILL damage the floor. Why don't people read the directions that come with the products they buy? Every box of Pergo flooring comes with the cleaning instructions or you can just go to LINK TO PERGO FLOOR CARE <----- that is a clickable link...click it....no really click it LOL.

Over wetting any laminate will lift the edges of the flooring. Just as water on a hardwood floor will raise the wood grain. I have a central vacuum system in our home and just use the hardwood floor tool to sweep. Most good vacuum cleaners have a switch to turn off the beater bar or it will turn it off automatically when you drop the head to the hard surface height. If your vacuum does not then either use a broom, buy a new vacuum or get a central vacuum system.

Don't mean to sound harsh but that it is a pet peeve of mine. People not reading their owner manuals or reading the instructions that come with the products they buy. Then complaining about how something is junk and they wish they never bought it. Research BEFORE you buy not after.

• stenseven
    7 years ago

I have pergo-style flooring in every room of my house and I love it. It has a very shiny "piano finish" and always looks super clean and elegant. Between vacuuming with a lightweight Bissell and occasional swiffer I haven't done much else in the 4 years that I've had it.

Unfortunately, small drips and smudges show up very well on a shiny floor, and I used to buff off the imperfections with a soft cloth and some vinegar solution.

Recently I got an Oreck Orbital Polisher #ORB550MC and could not be happier.

Today I cleaned two big rooms and the flooring looks like new. I use the red color polishing pad along with little spray mists of vinegar solution to get rid of the smudges. This leaves the floor clean, and a terry cloth buffing pad gives the floor the extra professional touch.

I'm surprised I don't hear about more people using an orbital polisher because it's so easy to get great results. It's a bit of an investment (a little over $300) but to be able to get the whole floor perfect is very satisfying.

• gmsuesue
    7 years ago

Donald Davenport.....There are many people, like myself that have bought houses that already have the flooring installed, and there are no instructions to read about the care. I have looked on the Internet and tried several commercial cleaners for Pergo, as well as mixtures other people have recommended, and still have not found an acceptable cleaning solution that shines and does not leave an oily film. Maybe the previous owners used something that they should not have and ruined it.???

• stir_fryi SE Mich
    7 years ago

I have the best vacuum cleaner solution in the world for you! It is the blue Shark Rocket Powerhead from Bed bath and beyond. It has a special beater bar for hardwood (super soft). I have miles of wood (and laminate in my basement) -- it vacuums and "dusts" as you use it. I love this vac so much, I've hardly used my Dyson since I got it.

As for "washing" laminate, in my basement I only use a well-wrung terry cloth mop (water only). I just don't think laminate needs any product to get it clean. Your floor is probably messier than mine though because it is in the kitchen.

• stir_fryi SE Mich
    7 years ago

I also should mention that you can get under the toe kicks (and beds) with this vacuum -- my dyson can't!

• barbdetzel
    7 years ago

Could you tell me what model that blue shark vacuum was as there are several blue ones. Thanks, Barb

• stir_fryi SE Mich
    7 years ago

It is Shark Rocket PowerHead (AH452) on Amazon. It is not cheap but I love it on hardwood and laminate (which I have both)

• Kathy Debien
    7 years ago

I have the lightest possible Pergo with little to no shine. Damp mop andvinegar or their "special" cleaner does nothing! I just scrubbed it with a scrubbies and it's never looked better