Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to really clean Pergo wood floors?

Posted by kaisermust (kaisermust@aol.com) on
Fri, Sep 25, 09 at 15:38

Have Pergo medium color oak floor in kitchen. Regret going with wood floor now because I can't seem to keep it clean looking. First, I use dry Swiffer sweeper to get up most of the dust bunnies, animal hair and loose dirt. Not bad, but such a pain. Don't dare want to use an upright vacuum with beater brush but is there another vacuum I could use? After Swiffer vacuuming I use a steam mop, the Bissell. Saw it work great on TV but seems to just push dirt around on my kitchen floor. I can see Swirls of dry dirt after the floor dries. For those of you who rave about steam mops what am I doing wrong? Before I got the steam mop I used Bona wood floor cleaner and microfiber mop. Have to say floor looked cleaner with this method but I was always rinsing out the mop head every couple of passes on the floor. Major pain! And now Pergo floor looks dull. Not shiny. Have also tried Bona floor refinisher to bring sheen back. Nothing. For those of you who have Pergo in the kitchen and PETS, how do you keep your Pergo floors looking clean (sweeping AND product cleaning)??? Cleaning is bad enough without having the results look like you just wasted your time. Suggestions, please.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to really clean Pergo wood floors?

Well Pergo is not wood, it's laminate - that means plastic. You should be able to vacuum it with anything you want. Bona floor refinisher won't do anything to plastic laminate. Might even leave quite a residue. I've used both the swiffer wet mop or a microfiber mop with the Pergo cleaner.

o

Cut and paste from the Pergo website:
Pergos exclusive LusterGard TM surface protection ensures dirt and dust will not adhere to your floor and guarantees it will not stain or fade like other flooring surfaces.

For day to day maintenance an occasional damp mop, quick sweeping or light vacuuming with the hard floor attachments are usually all it takes to keep your Pergo floor clean. Do not use soaps, detergents, or cleaners with wax because they may leave a film, dulling the floor.

Difficult spots like nail polish, markers, tar and cigarette burns can be easily removed with Pergo's Laminate and Hard Surface cleaner. Another option is to mix 1 gallon of water with 1 cup vinegar or cup of ammonia per gallon of water. Pergo floors must never be waxed, polished, sanded or refinished and never use a wet or jet mop when cleaning.

o

I have the laminate wood floors in every room of our house. I vacum with a regular vacum and use straight vingar to mop it. I usually put it in a spray bottle and spray it on the floor lightly then go over it with a damp mop. The smell does not linger long and keeps the house smelling clean and fresh.

o

The problem with using a vacuum on a laminate floor is that the beater brush (if you have an upright) can scratch it. This is also true of hardwood floors - they should not be vacuumed. A canister vacuum would most likely be just fine. NOte that the Pergo website noted that if you are going to vacuum, that you need to use the hardwood floor attachment as it does not have a beater bar.

Instead, you need to sweep first. A dust mop is fine for a quick once over, but it will not pick up all the dust. It is best for picking up the big stuff like dust bunnies, hair and the like. It is not especially good at picking up find dirt and that is what you are seeing on the floor when you use your mop. A good broom will pick up everything. Then when you mop, you won't see dust mixing with the cleaning solution.

Then, I would suggest a plain microfiber head mop and a spray bottle with water, vinegar and alcohol. Easy to make and very effective.

o

I just cleaned my new laminate for the first time of builders dust. I have the Bruce Park Ave. Makore with the shiny surface. I used about 1/4 cup of vinegar in a couple of gallons of water. I wrang the mop very tightly. It did a terrific job, dried within a couple of minutes and left no spots.

I vacumed first with my Electrolux canister vac that has a special attachment for hard surface flooring.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here