Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
thought I got a good buy....

Posted by auntevie (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 21, 09 at 15:18

I bought a beautiful mirror at Goodwill and was so excited until I got it home. After I cleaned it, I noticed that it has white, foggy like, marks here and there on it. Some of the marks look kinda like smoke rings. I have no idea what could have caused them. Maybe smoke from a candle?? (Sorry, I wish I could explain it better. I tried to take a picture of them but you cant really see them in a picture.)

I have tried windex, alcohol, and vinegar with a microfiber cloth and even tried the miracle sponge but none of these made any difference. Has anyone ever seen anything like this before? Any suggestions on how to remove them? The mirror only cost 3.99 but I still hate to just toss it since it is the perfect size and has a nice frame.
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: thought I got a good buy....

If you can't get it clean, keep the frame and just replace the mirror.

o

Is it possible that you were fortunate enough to have purchased a very old mirror that just isn't going to respond to modern cleaners in the way you would like. I have a very old mirror that belonged to my grandparents. When I clean it, it does tend to look foggy, even though the actual mirror backing is lacking in only a few spots. The general overall effect is somewhat cloudy. I love it because of its family history and it's in our guest room where great mirror expectation isn't extremely important. Maybe you got something special and/or historical. If not, that's easy enough to determine. Replace the mirror and keep the frame as k9 suggested.
Annie1971

o

The problem may be with the reflective coating on the back. Try placing a piece of foil behind the areas that are cloudy with the shiny side of the foil facing the front and check to see if that improves the image.

o

Thanks for the ideas. I did remove the mirror from the frame to check the back but unfortunately that didnt help. Also, I dont think I can replace the mirror because of the shape and size. The marks are strange because you can only see them in certain light but when you do it makes the mirror look dirty. I imagine this is why someone donated it to goodwill. Thanks for your suggestions tho!

o

You can get a new mirror cut to what ever size you want at a glass shop, not as many around as there used to be. I had a friend who had an old mirror re-silvered at a glass shop once. It was antique, beveled with a cut design in the glass. It seemed to work well. I have no idea how much it costs for something like that however.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here