Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
irma_stpete

Warning in choosing a Dyson

Irma_StPete
10 years ago

I've been using a new DC41 with pet hair tool for a month. Just want to put in these warnings that I have not found in internet searching.

1) It is not for the faint of heart.

a) The sound when wand is used comes out of the top, chest high. Horrendous sound (it is a powerful motor).

b) It can rather easily fall over.

2) It is not for the faint of body.

a) It requires a lot of arm action. It does not forward propel. It does not roll on any kind of ball - everything touching the ground (4 wheels) is a cylinder rather than a sphere. How do you turn it? Body english. Actually forcing it sideways. From the tv ads, I had the idea that it was easy to maneuver. Far, far, from it. The cylinder does rest on 2 rollers, but lifting it more than 3/4 inch from the ground (i.e., tilting it back) collapses it back to the ground - so those rollers are almost useless.

c) It requires a lot of wrist action. Again, difficult to maneuver. My hands, arms, and wrists are fine (while "old"!). Luckily, I have no arthritis there.

d) Using the pet tool is awkward because the excellent pet hair attachment must go on a rigid yard-long arm. I must stand at a distance from the area to be cleaned to operate this. This would be ok if the sofa, chair, bed were flat surfaces on the floor. Instead, it is just plain unwieldy. The opposite of a "dust buster" type hand held vacuum for furniture, or furniture brush on a flexible tube.

Well, those are my first month gripes.

It does clean well.

But vacuuming is not the pleasure it was with the upright bagless vacuums I had used for years. It's much more of an effort.

If I am wrong on any of the above, please tell me. Maybe I'm missing something about this style machine, or perhaps something is not functioning right.

Comments (4)