Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cleaning Soot off of Vinyl Siding

Posted by lenandliana (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 19, 07 at 15:07

I just had a furnace issue that has left about 100SF of my white vinyl siding covered in pitch black soot. How do I clean this (without killing the vegetation)?

Len

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cleaning Soot off of Vinyl Siding

Try Simple Green. Take precautions with vegetation by covering with a tarp.

o

What about an oxygen bleach? It is safe for vegetation and cleans mildew from siding. It would be worth a try anyways! Follow the link below to see some instructions. You could just try using the store brand of oxygen bleach!

Good luck! Let us know what you find that works!

Here is a link that might be useful: Cleaning exterior surfaces

o

I just scrubbed mine this week. This is my first year cleaning the soot since our gas stove is still new. I have to say that soot is really baked on. First i used soap and water to get some of it off. Then DH(you need the mucsle of a man) scrubbed it with a magic eraser sponge. I looks much better. However i told my DH that we will need to extend the chimney flute over the house to prevent this. Good Luck!

o

TSP is also an excellent cleaner. You can even add bleach to it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here